Action against O2 & Poll

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by netdog, Jul 7, 2008.

?

Should action be take against O2 if they don't change their iPhone upgrade policy?

1. This disaster could have been avoided. It is unfair to screw existing customers.

51 vote(s)
    68.9%
  2. O2 is handling these upgrades reasonably well with a good upgrade policy and plan.

23 vote(s)
    31.1%
  1. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

O2 has had plenty of time to prepare their website but did not. It is their existing customers whom they are screwing. The highly desirable new customers will have no problem getting their phones on Friday, but we are not allowed to purchase in the shops.

I propose that we both register our unhappiness with the current system through the poll here and report O2 to the ombudsman to take action. O2 lied to me that "millions and millions" of people are currently trying to upgrade on their website, that they still refuse to take orders over the phone despite this disaster and will not let us existing customers upgrade at the stores on Friday.

Anyone else hear any BS from O2 to add here? Any other ideas about how to pressure O2 to change their policy and let us order over the phone or pick up our upgrades on Friday at high street stores?

Screw O2 for screwing their faithful customers in order to add a few more.

2. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

The entire thing is a twisted publicity stunt.

It a shambles.

R-Fly

3. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Turning up at a store generally helps. Seeing as the iPhone 3G hasn't actually launched just yet, is this action premature? Or is this preemptive measures?

4. kid rock macrumors regular

I whole heartedly agree with you

And as much as it pains me to say this, apple need to pay for picking the worst mobile phone operator in the UK,

O2 have dropped the ball on this bigtime, and deserve to pay!

Simon

5. moabon.rob macrumors member

I'd hardly say they're the worst, although I do agree that have made a complete pigs ear of the whole situation.

I'm still glad to be with them on my PAYG crud phone, and hope to upgrade to a PAYG iPhone in due course... but the pricing and reliability of signal is what is keeping me. If it was down to the way they handle things/treat customer I would have left already.

6. AnonymousOne macrumors regular

O2 have been a shambles throughout. Worst being the whole PAYG scenario and this mornings ordering process where their site has been crashing.

7. jimN macrumors 6502a

jimN

For god's sake, try and get a sense of perspective. I've been with O2 for a little over 2 years now and I really only no issue with them. Everyone seems to have horror stories about each of the various carriers and you'll always be able to find people who are happy with them too. As it stands a delay in getting the 3G iPhone is not the end of the world and it's not as if you are going to be phoneless in the meantime.

O2 seem pretty confident that you'll be able to walk into a store on the day and do an upgrade in the shop. So drop this senseless bickering, stop whining about "taking action" and have a word with yourselves. You're starting to look pathetic.

8. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

O2 have no obligation to allow any current iPhone customer to upgrade. We signed contracts for a minimum term of 18 months and as a gesture of good-will the company is allowing people to upgrade to a new handset early.

Good luck with your campaign, but it will make you look stupider than O2's web team.

9. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Quite true.

After all, it's only a bloody phone. :p

10. Igantius macrumors 65816

Starting? ;)

11. netdog thread starter macrumors 603

netdog

No, they are refusing to allow us to upgrade in-store. Perhaps it would help to read the post before responding next time. My point is that O2, in the face of cocking up the web-only system, is not allowing us to order by phone nor to upgrade in-store.

12. jimN macrumors 6502a

jimN

I read the whole of your tantrum but they have written on their website that upgrades should be possible in store and are saying the same if you ring up. At the end of the day if you can't upgrade on the day is it really that big a deal?

God knows what happens in your daily life but if you try turning on the news once in a while you may discover that life has a few more hardships than delayed phone upgrades.

13. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

The website is very clear that upgrades are online only.

So existing iphone owners have to use that trainwreck O2 like to call an ordering system or they're hosed.

How anyone can defend a company that's made such a complete balls up of the most important phone launch this year is beyond me. Their CS staff are *still* saying that PayG will be released on friday, as I speak! That strikes me as a company that doesn't know their arse from their elbow.

God help us when we're stuck with them for 18 months.

14. jimN macrumors 6502a

jimN

You're not stuck with them, just don't buy the phone. Simple.

15. Sanzu08 macrumors member

Sanzu08

I think I'm gonna give and and waiting till the dust has settled in a couple of weeks.

very disappointed in o2

16. WellRedd macrumors member

Agreed.

What action exactly do you think you could take, OP? Take O2 to court because you might not be able to upgrade on the very day the phone comes out? You would be laughed out of court. Get a petition from a handful of people on this message board? Big deal.

17. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Well, I was going to sign up with O2 broadband this week. Probably not going to bother now. That's hitting them with actual revenue loss.

Phazer

18. netdog thread starter macrumors 603

netdog

I am sure that the ombudsman has a number of complaints against O2 on all sorts of matters. This will just add to the stack. The mobile industry is both incredibly arrogant and incredibly corrupt. That said, the number of legal actions against them is a real problem for them.

19. jimN macrumors 6502a

jimN

There really is no complaint to answer here. O2 are allowing people to end contracts early, without penalty to upgrade to a new phone. They have tried to allow people to do this ahead of time. Unfortunately high demand has been a problem as was previously foreseen. Now they are out of stock of one of the two varieties.

What exactly have they failed to do here?

20. Petoz macrumors 6502

Petoz

I feel for all you current iPhone users. I have been trying to upgrade all day today, but fortunately i'm on simplicity so I can upgrade in store on Friday if the Failover form i filled in doesn't work. However, i guess it should be remembered that O2 are letting you end you contracts early without penalty. This is not the case for other O2 contract holders. So in that respect, you are getting a very good deal! Just because you have an old iPhone now. Just thought i'd point this out.

21. captain kaos macrumors 65816

captain kaos

I also agree, Apple should have gone with a carrier with a decent track record. I do wonder how the original meetings went. What did O2 have that, say orange or Voda couldn't or wouldn't do?

What we need is direct O2 email address, not just they complaints email, as i bet no-one at O2 even looks at that, well, definitely not after today!

Does anyone know of a direct email? We can then all email with our well written complaints.

22. Petoz macrumors 6502

Petoz

O2 have the most subscribers, that's what. So from a business point of view, Apple made the correct decision, as it is the most popular network in the country. And up until this morning's fiasco, i've never had a problem with O2.

23. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

matthew.key@o2.co.uk
    Though personally I dont see it doing much. In large corportations the top man will probably just select all and press delete, or possibly just get someone else to see to them... so your better off sending to complaints@o2.co.uk It'll end up there anyway

24. captain kaos macrumors 65816

captain kaos

I know this forum is all about problems with the upgrade, and yes i do agree with the fact that technically they dont have to let you upgrade, but i think the bigger argument is the PAYG shambles. It was on their website that it would be available in July, and now its later this year, probably Xmas (and no i dont believe what has been said in the other forum that they (o2 on the phone) say it will be available on the 11th.

25. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

Failed to provide a service they said they would. (The upgrade, which has been advertised for the last month, has been unsucessful for every (AFAIK) existing iPhone user)