action cam SJ4000 is ok? or go pro hero basic?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by al404, Feb 6, 2015.

1. al404 macrumors 6502

al404

i'm looking since a long time to action cams and SJ4000 has very good price for specs, it claims 12Mp but just find out that go pro released an entry level camera that is 5Mp

now watching most of test footage on youtube i notice that 90% of SJ4000 footage are shaky even when people just walk and hold the camera

other has a jello effect

go pro basic seems to handle shake and movement a lot better
    SJ4000 footage doesn't seem that greater of basic go pro, not sure if 12Mp has a smaller sensor or if is just software difference

i would like some advice, i can consider any other product with same wide angle, and price range

i don't really care about wifi and extra feature, i would like to take footage walking and maybe on bike

2. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

My wife bought me a a GoPro Hero 4 Silver for Christmas and my birthday this past December. I'm not familiar with the SJ4000, but I can say that I've really enjoyed using my GoPro so far. If the GoPor Basic will meet your needs and fits your price range then I don't think you will be disappointed. For sure the GoPro line has a tremendous amount of availble accessories to help with whatever way you want to use the camera.

3. al404 thread starter macrumors 6502

al404

4. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

If was going to get a Gopro, it would be the GoPro Silver 4 for sure. Those things are great.

5. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Well, the full story is that she actually got me a Hero 3 Silver, but said she didn't know specifically which model I wanted. After doing a bit of research I returned the Hero 3 in favor of the Hero 4 Silver. I think the built in touchscreen and higher resolution options definitely justify the $100 price difference between the two models. As I said before, I'm happy with the purchase and excited to find different ways to use the camera. :)

6. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Yeah I was watching some comparisons and the 30fps 4k in the 4black and the 2.7k in the 4silver, the difference isn't that noticeable on a 1080p monitor. The touch screen in the back actually doesn't effect battery a whole lot its just under 2 hours. We just used a gopro 3+ for skiing in Montana and it would have helped if we could review the footage to make adjustments while we were in the field instead of going back to the room. Even on the gopro 3+ however the quality is stunning, its tack sharp and the colors are so true. Great camera!

7. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

I keep getting told that YouTube compresses the crap out of most video, but in those samples, the SJ4000 was not bad at all- especially for the price point.

I've personally used GoPro's in the past, so that would be my pick out of the two, but depending on what you wanted to use it for, the alternative is worth considering.

8. al404, Feb 9, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2015

al404 thread starter macrumors 6502

al404

i decide to go for go pro, i watched a lot of video and beside the fact that t SJ4000 a real 3.5Mpx vs 5Mpx of go pro, mosto of footage are under exposed and go pro can handle very well light change from bright to dark and backlight, the SJ4000 just make a mess

in some video seems that SJ4000 has sharper video, but i could find RAW go pro footage and is very good

here some interesting videos:

comparison go pro basic VS SJ4000 - this guy does very good reviews
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EASnXTyRYE8

link to RAW go pro basic footage - DOWNLOAD video don't watch as streaming
    https://mega.co.nz/#F!NpYA3BpA!XIUzN-VzG0JFTAAiLDaS1A
    https://app.dumptruck.goldenfrog.com/p/tPwDOK1IMC

different go pro comparison
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07Y2iTSNy8g

EDIT
    An other very good camera that i consider was sony AS100 it has stabilization but if you want to stabilize video it will reduce wide angle from 170 to 120. It has a very crisp video result and can handle dark scene very well. But since my initial budget was 100€ go pro i little over sony is almost double