Action F buttons for MAC and CS4 - Help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by digital504, Sep 21, 2009.

1. digital504 macrumors newbie

I just got a new Macbook Pro that I was planning to use for photo editing work with photoshop CS4. I currently use a PC to do all my photo editing and have many different actions setup using keys F2-F12. Well I have installed the actions on my new Macbook pro and when in CS4, for example I press F7instead of doing the recoreded action in photo shop, it does whatever F7 is on the laptop. Like control volume and bright and dark the keyboard and screen.

I need the actions to work, so I need to know how once I open photoshop that the F Keys will only be used for photoshop. Can I disable the F-Keys current functions to make this work ?

Any help would be great. Thanks

2. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

Yes, you can disable the keys in system settings, but it is much easier to just use the fn key (the bottom left corner of the keyboard). To use "F7", you would just hit fn-F7. I do it constantly in CS4. F1 = standard unsharp mask, F2 = new levels layer, F3 = convert to sRGB, etc...

3. occamsrazor macrumors 6502

occamsrazor

If you do want to make the function keys behave like F1, F2, F3 etc keys full-time, it's System preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard > "Use all F1, F2, etc keys as standard function keys".

Does anyone know of a way to, in effect, do the above on a per-application basis? That would be useful.