actionscript 3 is kickin my ass

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by thevessels, May 9, 2007.

1. thevessels macrumors regular

so just yesterday i started making my first reeeeally simple new file with flash cs 3 to test out the new features . and wow , AS is totally new .

im no actionscript 2.0 pro, but i can get by ok , but seriously , is anyone else in the dark when theyre first opening up this new language ?

2. yagran macrumors 6502a

yes. im in the same boat. theres alot of things which i found long winded, now there shorter so thats good. but it IS like learning a language almost from scratch. :D

3. thevessels thread starter macrumors regular

yo , thanks for the link !
    ill definitely be readin that later

4. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

ActionScript 3.0 is much easier to use if you know Object Oriented practices for ECMA script. I made the transition in just a couple of days and I've gotta say that I'm very happy with the new improvements. You've really just got to get your head around all the new object types, methods and events.

Also check out the Kirupa AS3 tip of the day

5. yagran macrumors 6502a

kirupa tis good ye! thnx for posting tht, erm my major problem with AS3 i that theres not much back compatability or conversion... you have no idea how long it took me to change all my alpha and scales values in my tweens!

6. Stratification macrumors regular

It takes a while to get used to, true. But if you do anything with XML you'll never want to go back to AS2 once you've used e4x a few times. I've been using AS3 in Flex for a while, and until the CS3 release, going back to Flash was just painful.

7. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

I was drooling over E4X all day yesterday... it's so helpful. Though I do try to limit my use of XML just because, though it's often easiest to use, the complex XML overhead is not always necessary for small amounts of data transfer. GET, POST requests and FlashVars are great for many things...

Oh! here's a tip for anyone using FlashVars... In AS2.0, you were able to just grab myVariable, though now, you have to grab it through a much longer object instance:
    Code:
    root.loaderInfo.parameters.myVariable