Activate 3g without SIM to use as ipod

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by rlkellermd, Jul 22, 2010.

1. rlkellermd macrumors newbie

I initially posted same question on iphone forum so sorry for reposting here. The thread ended telling me I needed to jailbreak but I was unable to get more details.

I have an old 3G with a cracked screen that will not recognize a SIM card. Prior to upgrading to ios 4.0.1 it worked great as an ipod touch and camera for the kids. I stupidly upgrated to ios 4.0.1 not realizing that I would need a SIM card to restore. Now it is stuck on connect to itunes screen. Again the phone will not recognize any SIM.

Is it possible to jailbreak from the state that it is in? If so how do I go about jailbreaking. I have read this forum and am confused.

Thanks for any help. My kids are pretty upset that they cant use the phone as an ipod.

2. StuLax18 macrumors 6502

My 3G is also 4.0.1 and I had no issues upgrading. I don't have a SIM in either, and usually leave it in airplane mode unless I want wifi. I'm haven't JB'ed it, but am thinking about doing it.

Maybe having it in airplane mode made it so it didn't notice the lack of a SIM card?

3. rlkellermd thread starter macrumors newbie

Did you have a SIM in the phone when upgrading. My phone was in airplane mode when the upgrade was started.Without a SIM I cannot get past the connect to itunes screen.

4. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

You cannot use any sim card to activate it it must be a SIM card for the carrier to which it is locked. If you are in the US then that would be ATT,
    It does not have to be an active SIM card, it could be Pay and Go, old inactive one, or whatever.
    Alternatively you can jailbreak with Redsn0w and Hacktivate it.

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=10186 for Mac

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=10188 for Windows

Hope this helps

5. rlkellermd thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much. Will try redsnow. Does it work with 4.0.1.

6. StuLax18 macrumors 6502

I think I had taken it out by then, but not 100% sure. It doesn't work anymore though since my 4 has the working SIM.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can still activate it with any old inactive AT&T sim.

8. rlkellermd thread starter macrumors newbie

Just to clarify, I do not need any SIM to activate using redsnow.
    Again, thanks for your help.