Activate 3g without SIM- would like to use as ipod

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rlkellermd, Jul 22, 2010.

1. rlkellermd macrumors newbie

I have a 3G with a cracked screen that will not recognize a SIM card. My kids use it as an ipod and to take pictures. I stupidly upgraded to ios 4.0.1, not realizing I needed a SIM to activate. Is there any way to activate without a SIM- it is currently stuck on the connect to itunes screen. Would a genius appointment be of any use.
    Thanks for any help.

2. mrtune macrumors 6502a

Do you have another iphone in the family that syncs to the same computer? Just plug the sim card from that phone into the one that shows the connect to itunes screen and sync it. It'll activate the phone. Then just put your sim back into the other iphone.

3. rlkellermd thread starter macrumors newbie

The phone will not recognize any SIM cards. Gives message to install SIM even though SIM is in tray

4. ZGXtreme macrumors regular

ZGXtreme

To the OP, thanks for posing this question, as I have recently came upon this issue myself. I'd like to inquire more into this, as I still have the old SIM card which was used in the phone prior to my purchase of the iPhone 4.

If I restored (hoping to find a 3.# file to restore to) with my old SIM inserted, will the activation process then make that the active phone, affecting the service on my iPhone 4?

5. mrtune macrumors 6502a

If the phone is busted to the point it can no longer see any sim that is installed on it, your only option may be to jailbreak the phone. You can activate it without a sim card that way.

iTunes can't activate a sim card so your service will not be affected, but it can take away the connect to itunes error, allowing you to use an old iphone as a ipod touch. I've done this with my old iphones as I upgrade. The key is that the iphone and associated sim card (even if it has no account info on it anymore) must have been synced before on that computer. Makes it easy for me to update and restore my old iphone with ease.

6. rlkellermd thread starter macrumors newbie

How do I jailbreak from the connect to itunes screen. Is it fairly simple and are there instructions in the forum? Can't say that I am very tech savy.

Could the apple store be of any help with this problem?