Activate a contract-free Verizon iPhone 4S on a prepaid carrier?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Broadus, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Broadus macrumors 6502a

My Verizon iPhone 4S recently came off contract and for months I had planned to leave Verizon for a less-expensive, pre-paid plan on another carrier. However, after reading lots of threads here and elsewhere, though there is some conflicting info, it seems that taking my 4S to another carrier using Verizon towers is practically impossible.

Am I understanding this correctly? If I cannot do so, I may try to sell the 4S and buy a Google Nexus 5. It would be more budget friendly, though, if I could activate my 4S on another carrier such as Straight Talk or Page Plus.

I've also thought of reactivating my old flip phone with Verizon to free the 4S and then try to activate the 4S elsewhere, but I have my doubts about being able to.

Any insight is much appreciated.

Thanks.

2. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

CDMA phones come pre-programmed for the carrier they are intended to be used on. in order to use them on another CDMA provider, the new carrier or 3rd party company has to reflash the carrier info into the device. im not sure who or where this gets done. there is probably tons of info on this if you google for it, maybe "reflash iphone 4 pageplus"

its usually easier and better worth your time to just sell the CDMA device as is and switch to an unlocked GSM phone, as its as simple as just inserting the pre paid SIM card of your choice, as opposed to reflashing firmware.

have you even looked at their website for this info first? i would inquire with pageplus to see whats required. here is a link to their FAQ, which explains how to get your phone up and running on their network.

https://www.pagepluscellular.com/support/