Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
Still thinking about enabling it on my BOINC 5,1, I'd be able to tell if it was running any faster by seeing how long it takes to finish a GPU work unit.
It does speed up my workflow in FCPX. Timeline edits take effect nearly instantly. Output renders faster. On the occasion I use handbrake/VideoToolBox, the fps is significantly faster. But perhaps your work unit is different, in which case give it a try - easy enough to undo.

its ridiculous for Apple not to implement it across the board
Not really. Apple is a business. By definition, that means making money. Applying resources to develop/test/support for "zero" return is a no brainer. In fact, it could be argued that such an effort is "anti-return" as it would delay the purchase of another Apple product.

Apple fulfilled their commitment by supporting the product for 5 years past last sale. The firmware updates were really a bonus, imho. I've had 10 years of good service on my cMP, and expect a few more. Apple owes me nothing on this product.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Original poster
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Does enabling HWA actually speed up your work, though? If it does, then yes it is indeed downright stupid for Apple to be disabling it!

Still thinking about enabling it on my BOINC 5,1, I'd be able to tell if it was running any faster by seeing how long it takes to finish a GPU work unit.

If it actually winds up improving work unit time as much as Apple's gradual tweaks to OpenCL / Metal itself I'd have to say its ridiculous for Apple not to implement it across the board, unless its something that causes the GPU to heat up faster. It's not like it's not an issue for laptops, but in the new Mac Pro there's just no excuse to not have it when you have an industrial strength cooling system to make up for it! Unless Apple feels it would shorten the life of the GPU or something.
HWA only useful in video work, not any other GPU compute / 3D work.

tsialex

macrumors G5
Jun 13, 2016
Does enabling HWA actually speed up your work, though? If it does, then yes it is indeed downright stupid for Apple to be disabling it!

If it actually winds up improving work unit time as much as Apple's gradual tweaks to OpenCL / Metal itself I'd have to say its ridiculous for Apple not to implement it across the board, unless its something that causes the GPU to heat up faster. It's not like it's not an issue for laptops, but in the new Mac Pro there's just no excuse to not have it when you have an industrial strength cooling system to make up for it! Unless Apple feels it would shorten the life of the GPU or something.
You are mixing things up.

AMD hardware acceleration here is video compression and decoding. Apple enabled VCE (Video Compression Engine) and UVD (Unified Video Decoder) ASIC units usage for Polaris and newer GPUs to accelerate video compression and decode via VideoToolbox API.

METAL/OpenCL are not accelerated by VCE/UVD.

Reactions: Ausdauersportler

Earl Urley

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2014
Ok thanks for making it crystal clear, I'm still going to try implementing it just to see what happens.

It sure would be nice to run Netflix / other sites without being scolded that I need to run Silverlight which is already EOLed on the Mac.

simone1978

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2020
Hello guys. I am writing to you from Italy. first of all thank you for your work.

i have a mac pro, mid 2012
mojave 10.14.6 (18G3020)
ram 32 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
GPU Radeon RX 580 8 GB (Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GD5 Graphics Card 8 GB, GDDR5, 256 bit Memory Bus)

Model name: Mac Pro
Model identifier: MacPro5,1
Processor name: 6-Core Intel Xeon
Processor speed: 3.33 GHz
Number of processors: 1
Total number of cores: 6
L2 cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 cache: 12 MB
Boot ROM version: 144.0.0.0.0
SMC version (system): 1.39f11
SMC version (processor slot): 1.39f11

I'm a video operator, before selling this machine to switch to imacpro, I installed new gpu to switch to mojave.
to evaluate if performance is enough for me.
I only work with FCPX 10.4.8.
with 4k50p file.

I ran your method to get graphical acceleration.

1) Keep SIP disabled

2) Download Lilu.kext

3) Download WhateverGreen.kext

4) open Lilu.kext (right click -> show package contents)

5) enter Contents

6) create folder "Plugins" (N.B. This folder is INSIDE Contents, please do NOT miss step 5) .......

the simplest method we say.

now the system extension report is:

Lilu:

Version: 1.4.0
Last modified: 02/12/19, 11:03

WhateverGreen:

Version: 1.3.5
Last modified: 02/12/19, 11:08

it's correct? are there newer lilu?
is it harmful in the long run?
I read all faqs and 52 forum pages.

I'm not interested in switching to Catalina.
it is enough for me to be stable and not damage my mac.

Acceleration works great on FCPX Export times are reborn.

I await answers.

I use translator forgive my English

h9826790

macrumors P6
Original poster
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
it's correct?
If HWAccel is working, and you can clearly benefit from the faster export. Then you should do everything right.

are there newer lilu?
Yes

is it harmful in the long run?
No evidence to cause any hardware / software failure in long term.

it is enough for me to be stable and not damage my mac.
If nothing wrong on your cMP, then it means stable.

simone1978

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2020
If HWAccel is working, and you can clearly benefit from the faster export. Then you should do everything right.

Yes

No evidence to cause any hardware / software failure in long term.

If nothing wrong on your cMP, then it means stable.

I just got a reply with new lilu links.

what should I do.

sorry but I'm not as practical as you.

thanks for the support.
[automerge]1583147775[/automerge]
debug.zip or release.zip?
do I have to repeat the whole procedure of post 1?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Original poster
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I just got a reply with new lilu links.

what should I do.

sorry but I'm not as practical as you.

thanks for the support.
[automerge]1583147775[/automerge]
debug.zip or release.zip?
do I have to repeat the whole procedure of post 1?
No need to do / update anything if that's working.

simone1978

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2020
in fact, when I export from fcpx, random green bands appear.
with new lilu solve?
thank you
[automerge]1583148147[/automerge]
an effective method to enable / disable can be to move lilu.kext file out of extension folder, and then restart?

dvbcheck

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2014
Germany
Booting OpenCore (0.5.6) from 64GB USB Stick following post 594 (original USB2 Port)

nvram boot-args="-no_compat_check" is set in NVRAM
csrutil enable --without nvram is set in NVRAM

Innie enabled (1.2.0)
LiLu enabled (1.4.1)
WhatEverGreen enabled (1.3.6)
NightShiftUnlocker enabled (2.3.0)
Hardware Acceleration enabled
BootPicker enabled

To Boot Windows Legacy for one boot only I only need to restart without the Stick and starting normal without OpenCore. Then I'm able to use a script like:

do shell script "bless -mount /Volumes/Bootcamp -setBoot -nextonly -legacy" with administrator privileges

In Case of updating Windows I can use StartupPreferences

Many thanks to the community.

Now my few questions:

Is there a way to enable SideCar?
Is there a way to enable AirPlay Mirroring?

Switched to OpenCore 0.5.6 on USB Stick (thanks to h9826790, Nighshift enabled, HW Acceleration top, BootPicker works well), Windows 10 EFI Mode

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2020-03-02 um 18.14.48.jpg
    Bildschirmfoto 2020-03-02 um 18.14.48.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 2,092
  • Bildschirmfoto 2020-03-02 um 18.33.15.jpg
    Bildschirmfoto 2020-03-02 um 18.33.15.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 2,007
  • OC.zip
    505.2 KB · Views: 1,476
Last edited:

h9826790

macrumors P6
Original poster
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I created a new "easy to install package" as per many requested (based on the official OpenCore). [The attached package updated to 0.9.8]

For those who only need HWAccel, post #594 has everything you need. This new package mainly offer HWAccel + boot screen. Also, this package should work in Catalina and newer macOS for dual processor cMP.

I don't mind you guys discuss anything about this package, but I have no plan to provide any explanation about OpenCore at here. If you want to know more, please join cdf's OpenCore thread. For new joiners, please make sure read through the FAQ in post #1 before you ask anything.

The attached packages (0.9.4 and before) included Clover Configurator (for mounting the EFI partition only, please do NOT use it to edit the OpenCore config plist) and a complete preconfigured OpenCore. All credits goes to the developer teams. If you want to show your support, please give them donation (declaration of interest: I am NOT in any of their developer teams). Since 0.9.5, the Clover Configurator (which we use it only mount the EFI partitions) is replaced by Macschrauber's Mount EFI script (the Bless OpenCore script is also credit to Macschrauber).

For Clover Configurator and OpenCore developers teams, please let me know if you want me to remove the associated software inside my attachment in this post.

This is a "one package fit all" solution. So, it's designed to fit as much setup as possible, which may not be optimized for your setup (e.g. The auto detect HiDPI function may not work correctly for ultra wide screen. For those who are running ultra wide monitor, the Apple logo may be too large during boot). You have to do the optimization by yourself (details in the OpenCore manual, some info also available in cdf's OpenCore thread).

Anyway, for those who have RX 460 or newer AMD GPU, this package should gives you:
  1. Boot screen (via GOP for unflashed card, including some Nvidia card)
  2. Firmware protection (to run Windows in EFI mode without risking the cMP bootROM)
  3. HWAccel (H264 / HEVC hardware decode + encode in Mojave and newer macOS)
  4. ability to watch DRM streaming content (Mojave and newer macOS)
  5. Boot picker (only support EFI systems, tested with Apple wired keyboard, Magic Mouse, and Magic Keyboard, 10s timeout. If you can't see this. Just don't touch the keyboard, and your cMP should continue to boot to desktop)
  6. NVMe and SATA drives on PCIe card show up as internal
  7. Support for Apple USB SuperDrive
  8. TRIM (regardless trimforce status)
  9. Ability to run non-GUI 32bit software in Catalina
  10. Ability to reset NVRAM in boot picker (disabled at this moment to align with the native Apple boot manager)
  11. Ability to run any natively supported ancient OSX with modern graphic card e.g. Radeon VII in 10.6.8 (only can display, no acceleration) [Update 5th May 2020: Sierra and High Sierra may not fully supported yet. Thanks for pierrox's report]
  12. Ability to boot Catalina / Big Sur / Monterey and the associated Recovery Partition [SurPlus (credit to Syncretic) is included and enabled by default to fix the racing condition in macOS 11.3 or later][AVXPel is also included. another credit to Syncretic][ASPP-Override is included for macOS 12.3, credit to dortania]
  13. Sleep should work (tested on my cMP, but I can't guarantee it also work with your setup)
  14. Possible to run 8x32GB RAM in macOS (user need to mod the config.plist manually. Replace the false below CustomMemory to true)
  15. Enable HDMI Audio for some graphic cards
  16. Ability to monitor modern AMD GPU's temperature (by using the attached RadeonGadget. Credit to Aluveitie)
  17. Possible to run AQC107S 10Gbps network in Monterey 12.3 and newer (credit to Jazzzy)
It's impossible for me (and other voluntary helpers) to test every single function in all situations. So, as usual, use at your own risk. But you are welcome to report back if there is any problem / error.

Pre-installation:
  • Recommend to backup your BootROM between step 1 and 2 (e.g. by using ROMTool, credit to Dosdude, password "rom". Or by Macschrauber's ROM dumper)
  • If you want to test run OpenCore, you can install this package onto a bootable USB thumb drive.
  • Quite a few users reported that can't boot OpenCore from NVMe, analysis shows that depends on hard drives config. It's hard to explain which exact scenario may hit this bug. So, please avoid to install this package on NVMe. You can install this package on ANY SATA drive with virtually no performance lost, not necessary your boot drive.
  • If you want to remove OpenCore, please mount the EFI partition by using Clover Configurator, then remove BOOT and OC folders inside the EFI folder on EFI partition.
  • If your cMP stuck at boot. After shutdown, please pull out the hard drive that contain OpenCore, then perform NVRAM reset. If still doesn't work, then please install your emergency graphic card that has boot screen. Hold Option to boot, then select your backup boot drive. This should disable OpenCore.
  • For those who want to report issue / error. Please provide details (e.g. which graphic card, OpenCore installed on NVMe / SATA drive, the issue's details, etc) otherwise it will be extremely hard (or even impossible) for me to work out what's wrong.
  • If you installed Lilu for whatever reason (e.g. because of innie), or applied my previous non-OpenCore HWAccel mod, please remove them or revert them. For Lilu + WEG, that means delete Lilu.kext in /Library/Extensions/ and reboot (caution: these kexts may be installed in System/Library/Extensions/ as well). For hex edit method, that means delete AppleGVA.framework in /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/ and rename AppleGVA.framework.bak to AppleGVA.framework. Warning: My packages already have Lilu and WEG included, "double installation" of these kexts will cause macOS boot failure.
  • For PULSE RX580, users reported that only can see boot screen when boot from gaming mode. There may be no UEFI GOP in the compute mode's ROM.
  • Also for RX580, users reported that they can't see the screen during macOS installation / update. Analysis shows that there is bug in macOS. When multiple monitors connected, the installation / update will process as expected, but all screens may remain black. Therefore, for RX580 (may be also applicable to other Polaris GPU), please only connect one monitor when you want to install / update macOS (if you prefer to able to see the progress).
I tried to make the installation as simple as possible. However, I still demand you to learn some very basic skills. Those skills are very useful in the recovery process if something goes wrong. Anyway, here is what you need to do
  1. [Optional] 3x NVRAM reset to avoid some unknown issues.
  2. Disable SIP (must do, especially if you performed step 1)
  3. Download the attachment in this post (if the newer package has compatibility issue. You may download the older package, same installation procedures.)
  4. Follow the steps in this video (please turn on and read the subtitle) [N.B. some tools are updated, but they are very self explanatory. Therefore, I have no plan to create another video just to show how to use the new tools at this moment]
  5. For Big Sur and Monterey, if some ports on your graphic card are disabled, please follow the steps in this video to re-enable them.
  6. Reboot

For existing OpenCore users, you may follow the step in this video to update OpenCore [For those who installed OC onto the Windows drive, please make sure you only replace the OC files, but not the whole EFI folder]

Additional option 1: If you have 4K screen, and you want to have "Retina" boot screen. You may do this. [Depreciated in 0.7.6, which Retina should be enabled automatically on 4K monitor]

Additional option 2: If you have a flashed Thunderbolt 3 card, you can install that in slot 4, then enable Thunderbolt 3 support by doing this.

Additional option 3: If you want to enable the ability to install / update Catalina, Big Sur and Monterey, please follow the steps in this video. [N.B. you should revert the changes after macOS installation completed. This special setting is not designed for daily use]

Additional option 4: If you have legacy wifi card, you may try the follow steps to re-activate the old wifi card in Big Sur (only avail in my 0.6.4 package or above)

Additional option 5: To enable legacy BT support in the latest unsupported OS, you may turn on both BlueToolFixUp and BlueTooth-Spoof kext.

Additional option 6: Since 0.6.3, I allow OC to take over SIP control. There are various reasons, but anyway, that's defaulted to be disabled. If you want to re-enable SIP, please follow the steps in this video. (please turn on the English subtitle when you watch this video, some useful info at there)

For FCP(X) users, if you want to export HEVC video by using HWAccel, you will need Compressor.
[N.B. The setting MUST identical to the one that I show in the video. Otherwise, HEVC hardware encoding may not work]

If you want to completely uninstall my OpenCore package, please follow the steps in this video.

N.B. Unflashed graphic card means "the ROM is never modified". For those who bought used card, and can't see the boot screen, most likely the last user flashed the card with modified ROM (e.g. downvolt for mining). In this case, you can go to TechPowerUp to find a ROM that fit your own card, and flash it.

P.S. If you want to support my work, please donate via the following link. Million thanks in advance! https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/martinlo420

[Last update:16 Feb 2024, OpenCore 0.9.8, Lilu 1.6.7, WhateverGreen 1.6.6, RadeonSensor 0.3.3, AppleALC 1.8.9, FeatureUnlock 1.1.5, SurPlus, AVXpel, ASPP-Override]

Attachments

• OpenCore 0.6.6.zip
    10.7 MB · Views: 1,042
  • OpenCore 0.6.7.zip
    11 MB · Views: 1,348
  • 0.6.8.zip
    11 MB · Views: 1,130
  • 0.6.9.zip
    11 MB · Views: 508
  • 0.7.0.zip
    11 MB · Views: 932
  • 0.7.1.zip
    11.1 MB · Views: 1,081
  • 0.7.2.zip
    11.2 MB · Views: 952
  • 0.7.3.zip
    11.2 MB · Views: 846
  • 0.7.3 (V2).zip
    13.7 MB · Views: 1,887
  • 0.7.4.zip
    13.7 MB · Views: 1,245
  • 0.7.5.zip
    13.7 MB · Views: 1,576
  • 0.7.6.zip
    13.7 MB · Views: 1,727
  • 0.7.7.zip
    13.9 MB · Views: 1,114
  • 0.7.8 V2.zip
    13.1 MB · Views: 1,132
  • 0.7.9.zip
    13.1 MB · Views: 1,643
  • 0.8.0.zip
    13.1 MB · Views: 4,932
  • config plist for macOS 12.4 - 12.X (only good for my 0.8.0 package).zip
    5.9 KB · Views: 3,207
  • OpenCore 0.8.6.zip
    13.2 MB · Views: 1,053
  • OpenCore 0.8.7.zip
    13.3 MB · Views: 1,063
  • OpenCore 0.8.8.zip
    13.3 MB · Views: 1,534
  • OpenCore 0.8.9.zip
    13.3 MB · Views: 713
  • OpenCore 0.9.0.zip
    13.3 MB · Views: 1,181
  • OpenCore 0.9.1.zip
    13.3 MB · Views: 1,148
  • OpenCore 0.9.2.zip
    13.3 MB · Views: 1,164
  • OpenCore 0.9.3.zip
    13.3 MB · Views: 1,481
  • OpenCore 0.9.4.zip
    14.1 MB · Views: 1,062
  • OpenCore 0.9.5.zip
    9.5 MB · Views: 1,367
  • OpenCore 0.9.6.zip
    9.6 MB · Views: 807
  • OpenCore 0.9.7.zip
    9.6 MB · Views: 1,419
  • OpenCore 0.9.8.zip
    9.6 MB · Views: 705
Last edited:

Eschers

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2015
ch
OpenCore 0.5.6 released. I created a new "easy to install package" as per many requested.

For those who only need HWAccel, post #594 has everything you need. This new package mainly offer HWAccel + boot screen. Also, this package should work in Catalina for dual processor cMP.

I don't mind you guys discuss anything about this package, but I have no plan to provide any explanation about OpenCore at here. If you want to know more, please join cdf's OpenCore thread.

The attached packaged included Clover Configurator and a complete preconfigured OpenCore. All credits goes to the developer teams. If you want to show your support, please give them donation (declaration of interest: I am NOT in any of their developer teams)

For Clover Configurator and OpenCore developers teams, please let me know if you want me to remove the associated software inside my attachment in this post.

This is a "one package fit all" solution. So, it's designed to fit as much setup as possible, which may not be optimised for your setup (e.g. I did't provide HiDPI boot picker, for those who are running 4K screen, the text may be quite small to read). You have to do the optimisation by yourself (details in the OpenCore manual, some info also available in cdf's OpenCore thread).

Anyway, for those who have RX 460 or newer AMD GPU, this package should gives you:
  1. Boot screen (via GOP for non flashed card)
  2. Firmware protection (to run Windows in EFI mode without risking the cMP bootROM)
  3. HWAccel (H264 / HEVC hardware decode + encode in Mojave or later)
  4. ability to watch DRM streaming content (Mojave or later)
  5. Boot picker (only support EFI systems, only tested with wired keyboard. Light grey background, black text, 10s timeout. If you can't see this. Just don't touch the keyboard, and your cMP should continue to boot to desktop)
  6. NVMe and SATA drives show up as internal
  10. Ability to reset NVRAM in boot picker
  11. Ability to run any natively supported ancient OSX with modern graphic card e.g. Radeon VII in 10.6.8 (only can display, no acceleration)
It's impossible for me to test every single function in all situations. So, as usual, use at your own risk. But you are welcome to report back if there is any problem / error.

Anyway, I tried to make the installation as simple as possible. Here is what you need to do
  1. Disable SIP
  2. Download the attachment in this post
  3. Follow the steps in this video
  4. Reboot
Other info
  • Recommend to backup your BootROM between step 1 and 2 (e.g. by using ROMTool)
  • If you want to remove OpenCore, please mount the EFI partition by using Clover Configurator, then follow step 9 in this post.
  • If your cMP stuck at boot. After shutdown, please pull out the hard drive that contain OpenCore, then perform NVRAM reset. If still doesn't work, then please install your emergency graphic card that has boot screen. Hold Option to boot, then select your backup boot drive. This should disable OpenCore.
  • For those who want to report issue / error. Please provide details (e.g. which graphic card, OpenCore installed on NVMe / SATA drive, the issue's details, etc) otherwise it will be extremely hard (or even impossible) for me to work out what's wrong.

works great for me so far! Thanks!

EDIT: Still no bootpicker though..How do I have to proceed with bootpicker if I have a legacy win10 install? select it or trash and just create usb uefi win10 installer and insert and boot with bootpicker to usbinstaller and redo it?

Config: Installed OC on 4GB USB 2.0 Drive plugged in in lower front usb

Last edited:
Reactions: zoltm and h9826790

mikeydeezy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
MN, USA
Wow! I had no idea the dual CPU Catalina issue had been solved.

Is there a risk that this will break in a new Catalina update?

Ludacrisvp

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2008
Wow! I had no idea the dual CPU Catalina issue had been solved.

Is there a risk that this will break in a new Catalina update?
We are disabling the kernel extension from loading that causes the panic, so even if apple replaces that kext we should not see a difference. But like H said, can't really predict the future, however, for now this should conceivably survive all catalina updates.

Reactions: mikeydeezy

mrtang42

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2019
OpenCore 0.5.6 released. I created a new "easy to install package" as per many requested.

For those who only need HWAccel, post #594 has everything you need. This new package mainly offer HWAccel + boot screen. Also, this package should work in Catalina for dual processor cMP.

I don't mind you guys discuss anything about this package, but I have no plan to provide any explanation about OpenCore at here. If you want to know more, please join cdf's OpenCore thread.

The attached packaged included Clover Configurator and a complete preconfigured OpenCore. All credits goes to the developer teams. If you want to show your support, please give them donation (declaration of interest: I am NOT in any of their developer teams)

This is a "one package fit all" solution. So, it's designed to fit as much setup as possible, which may not be optimised for your setup (e.g. I did't provide HiDPI boot picker, for those who are running 4K screen, the text may be quite small to read). You have to do the optimisation by yourself (details in the OpenCore manual, some info also available in cdf's OpenCore thread).

1. Boot screen (via GOP for non flashed card)
  3. HWAccel (H264 / HEVC hardware decode + encode in Mojave or later)
  4. ability to watch DRM streaming content (Mojave or later)
  5. Boot picker (only support EFI systems, only tested with wired keyboard. Light grey background, black text, 10s timeout. If you can't see this. Just don't touch the keyboard, and your cMP should continue to boot to desktop)
  6. NVMe and SATA drives show up as internal
  10. Ability to reset NVRAM in boot picker
  11. Ability to run any natively supported ancient OSX with modern graphic card e.g. Radeon VII in 10.6.8 (only can display, no acceleration)
It's impossible for me to test every single function in all situations. So, as usual, use at your own risk. But you are welcome to report back if there is any problem / error.

Anyway, I tried to make the installation as simple as possible. Here is what you need to do
  1. Disable SIP
  2. Download the attachment in this post
  3. Follow the steps in this video
  4. Reboot
Other info
  • Recommend to backup your BootROM between step 1 and 2 (e.g. by using ROMTool)
  • If you want to remove OpenCore, please mount the EFI partition by using Clover Configurator, then follow step 9 in this post.
Thanks for the config file. So happy to see the booting screen now. I want to add a point that OC boot picker supports the Apple Magic bluetooth keyboard via both wired and wireless connection.

BTW, Does OC provide fakeSMC that fix the PCIE fan issue for Mac Pro 4,1?

Earl Urley

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2014
I just installed this.. what a relief to get a boot picker that gets my Sapphire Pulse RX 580 to throw up that beautiful grey screen immediately!

Everything else is working as advertised. Netflix runs like a dream. So far no changes to my BOINC render time.

One thing, though: when I opened the EFI volume on my system SSD with Clover Configurator, it was totally empty.

I copied over the two folders into the root directory, but Bless OpenCore gave me the error:

Code:
The action “Run AppleScript” encountered an error: “Can't statfs /Volumes/EFI/EFI/OC/OpenCore.efi”

So I created an EFI folder in Finder, then dragged the two folders BOOT and OC inside of it, and ran Bless OpenCore again, it ran with no errors. I hit restart and poof beautiful boot picker nearly instantly came up!

I have backups of my BootROM from before, so I skipped that part.

I'm able to play 4K content in Google Chrome with no problems, highest CPU gets is 50% and GPU gets is 27% on 8K videos. Trying to play 8K vids results in buffering/stuttering.

The 1.5 GB, 400 Mb/sec 4K HEVC Jellyfish file plays in Movist Pro smooth as butter. CPU never climbs above 3%, GPU 25% as measured by iStat Menus, and with no other app running.

Does this package allow Catalina upgrades?

Thanks much, h9826790!

Last edited:
Reactions: Kriss Parker
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.