Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Centst

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
I'm in between upgrading to new iMac and only have Tiger right now. Can I activate the iPhone 4 in Apple store? I have a 1g iPhone now that barely lasts a couple hours (if that) on the battery.

Dominat0r

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2009
i dunno if this is the same, but i got my 4 at ratshack and they activated in the store.

RichBrewski

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2010
I feel like this is such a simple answer that it might be wrong. But I have now stood through three iPhone activations in store so yes, yes you can.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
They activate it in store, but if you ask them, they'll let you take it home. The SIM card will already be active, so they don't really mind.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Another experience of activating in the apple store. I figured I'd let them activate in the store so I could just start playing with it after I got home.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
OP - They'll activate in store, but you won't be able to use it with your computer without updating. Just buy the $29.00 SL disc they sell in the store and you'll be fine.

Centst

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
OP - They'll activate in store, but you won't be able to use it with your computer without updating. Just buy the $29.00 SL disc they sell in the store and you'll be fine.

I would but it's a PPC G4 chip which won't allow me to upgrade. But at least I can use a new iPhone until I update to an iMac, just deciding which one to get.

iPhone1

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2010
You can run the latest version of iTunes which iPhone 4 requires on a PPC Mac running Tiger.

Centst

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
I could update to Leopard, but when I looked awhile back on eBay most were at least $100 or more. Plus I would need to upgrade ram. Also I have the latest iTunes version, but it still needs Leopard for the iPhone according to Apple site.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia

The reason for activating in store is to be able to send and receive phone calls... access to apps or other data requires you hook up to the computer that you last used for a backup.

Not sure what you mean by the $29 SL disc though...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.