Activate iphone 4 without losing FAN

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rrandyy, Aug 5, 2010.

1. rrandyy macrumors 6502

Are there any precautions I should take when activating an iphone4 in order to not lose my FAN discount? For example, I was told not to buy it at apple, so I purchased it through AT&T, instead.

How about when I activate it? Do I have to call in or can I do it online? Any other strategies?

I'd strongly prefer to not need to add the FAN again. It would be *much* easier to just not lose it in the first place.

2. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I just moved my family from Verizon to my AT&T acct now we all have iPhones and I bought two from Apple, just call customer service and ask them to make sure your FAN gets updated, I didn't have to do a thing in fact on Verrizon FAN accts it is just a discount on the primary line, however with AT&T it is a discount for each line really cool.

Call customer service to verify but it will not be an issue, AT&T is very good about these things.

3. HawaiiMacAddict macrumors 6502a

Aloha rrandyy,

I understand your trepidation. I was in the same situation myself. When I upgraded from the original iPhone to iPhone 3G, I was told to cancel the FAN, then have it reapplied once my iPhone 3G was activated.

This time, I called AT&T to verify their procedure, thinking that it may have changed in the intervening two years. I was told that I needed to do nothing, that the FAN would carry over this time. For that reason, I purchased my iPhone 4 at the Apple Store and activated it a little while later (thank you AT&T :( for making me wait until your system could actually activate my iPhone 4). The FAN did indeed carry over and all is well.

Who told you not to purchase your iPhone 4 at the Apple Store? Let them know that they were unfortunately misinformed. Call your local AT&T office, but you should have to do nothing to have your FAN carried over.

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I believe they've resolved the problem with FAN and it's no longer an issue. I upgraded from 3GS to iP4 without losing the FAN.

5. romeo.xk macrumors 6502a

I never had any problems with mine, I got my I4 on release day, and went from a BB to I4...

6. maddux2005 macrumors 6502

No probs here. I went to apple on release, they activated it. My FAN remained. Just like you, I really didn't "need" to have it taken off :p

7. deeddawg macrumors 604

Who told you that? An AT&T store employee? :rolleyes:

I bought my iphone4 at an Apple store and my FAN is perfectly intact.

8. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

this issue was for the original iPhone (not eligible for FAN discounts)

9. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

I did't lose my FAN when I went from my 3GS, to my 4.

10. Schweitzer macrumors regular