Activate iPhone + Still use AT&T?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by britboyj, Apr 28, 2009.

1. britboyj macrumors 6502a

I'm going to the UK in June and already have a jailbroken 3G, I didn't select "activate my iPhone" because I'm already on AT&T.

When I'm over there, I can get a Pay-as-you-go SIM and can use it with any phone, in theory.

Can I re-jailbreak, click "Activate my iPhone" and have it work with my AT&T SIM (ie does that option make the phone simply not care what network it's on?) until I go over there?

Once over there, can I just pop the new SIM in and have the phone detect, search and such, or will I have to re-jailbreak with the new SIM already in there?

Supposing both of the above is as easy as I'd like it to be, when I get back can I just shove my AT&T SIM back in, and be good to go?

2. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

No, you need to unlock your phone first. If your iPhone's baseband is 2.28 you are fine and can use yellowsn0w to do this. If your baseband is not 2.28, you can't unlock your phone.

3. Vandam500 macrumors 68000

Vandam500

You can now downgrade your baseband. Search for it in Cydia.

4. DannyBres macrumors 65816

DannyBres

If you have the correct baseband and yellowsn0w installed just pop the new sim in and you should be fine :)

5. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Unfortunately this process only works for certain boot loader versions. Search for it on Macrumors.