Activate new phone before unlocking old device?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rpearlberg, Feb 21, 2017.

1. rpearlberg macrumors 6502a

Can I activate my new Verizon iPhone while my AT&T unlock request is still pending?

2. jetsam macrumors 6502

Do you mean activate or port?

I would advise against porting while you have an unlock request active. Porting will close your AT&T account, and may make the unlock fail or become more complicated.

If there is nothing wrong with your unlock request, and you are still an AT&T customer, an unlock should only take a few minutes - a few hours at most. Patience, grasshopper! ;)

3. rpearlberg thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm porting my AT&T number to Verizon. I have the new VZW phone already, but haven't called to activate yet. My AT&T unlock request is still pending. Should I wait to activate VZW (which would port the #) until the unlock is complete?

4. jetsam macrumors 6502

Thanks for clarifying. You definitely want to wait until the unlock completes before porting. How long ago did you put in the unlock request?

5. rpearlberg thread starter macrumors 6502a

On Friday. I contacted them this morning and they said they'll "expedite" it, so who knows what that really means...

6. jetsam macrumors 6502

My one word thought about AT&T in this case: "Idiots!" But if there is an issue, cancelling the account (via porting) is only going to make things more difficult. Hang in there!

7. rpearlberg thread starter macrumors 6502a

Haha!! I know...just being impatient as I have my new iPhone 7 sitting here waiting...