Activate old iPhone to sell?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by CocheseUGA, Feb 5, 2009.

1. CocheseUGA macrumors member

I upgraded recently, and am trying to sell my old phone. The person I am selling it to would like it jailbroken and unlocked. I had it jailbroken, but I was dumb and clicked restore and now it wants to be activated again.

I'd like to activate, JB and unlock so I can sell it, but not at the risk of screwing up my 3G plan. I have a prepaid, unactivated SIM here from a cheapy phone here if that helps.

I searched, but everything I found for jailbreaking assumes that the phone is already activated.

Thanks.

BTW - I'm on Windows.

Nevermind (apparently). It didn't ask me to activate when I put the other SIM in, so I should be fine.

2. j3yq macrumors 6502

j3yq

Does he need a new sim card? otherwise I believe you can do everythign you need without a simcard installed. I jailbroken my first iphone without it being activated.

3. sdhard00 macrumors newbie

Me too

I have a similar question...my 2g iphone was jailbroken, and I used it with t-mobile for almost a year, but it started having issues. I restored it and then took it to the Apple Store. They gave me a new 2g, but it wants to be activated. I cant do anything with it without activating. Any thoughts...or suggestions?

I put an AT&T sim card in the new phone, and itunes sees it, but wants to force activation. Without a sim card, itunes will not recognize the phone, it just says a valid sim must be installed in the phone.

4. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

Quickpwn will activate it for you

5. sparkyms macrumors 65816

To the OP, if you just run pwnage tool it will activate, jailbreak and unlock for you. Quickpwn should do the same but I prefer to use Pwnage.

6. sdhard00 macrumors newbie

Actually, Quickpwn give the message

"The firmware installed on your iPhone is not supported by Quickpwn" and refers me to the web site, where I can find nothing on how to get around it.

By the way, I have been trying it on my MacBook...if that really matters...I do not know.

7. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Please, PLEASE. That was not dumb, that was VERY SMART. Never sell your phone without doing a secure wipe. :)