Activate on device SIMs (UK)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by DKatri, Aug 5, 2012.

1. DKatri macrumors 6502

Do all the big carriers offer SIMs with plans that can be managed on the iPad itself?

When I got my 1st gen iPad I had an Orange and an O2 SIM, both let me pay for plans on the iPad itself. For some reason neither of the SIMs I have will work, the O2 one doesn't even connect to the network.

Where can I get one that lets me manage my plan on the device itself? I asked in the 3 store and they said none of theirs could be managed on device.

Its so much more convenient than having an actual contract or having to top up somewhere.

2. Kaiser99 macrumors member

Go to amazon search for '3' micro sim there are a couple to look for, there are 3gb for 3 months there's also 12gb for 12 months, if you are using your cell data you can access the 3 website (instructions included) and see your data plan, I have mine bookmarked, and how much you have used and when it will run out. Warning though the sims are about £12 on amazon but the top up are full price I think it's about £20 so I have started ordering 2-3 sims at a time and just changing them out when I run out, I will be looking at the 12 month version next about £50 I think and won't have to worry about the top up again for a year. There is also no setup just put the sim in and carry on

3. dchao, Aug 6, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2012

dchao macrumors 6502a

I've checked out the Three Mobile UK website.

To register you'll need the mobile number and last 6 digits of your SIM. Enter these on their sign up page and they will *text* you a password.

Excuse me: I have an iPad, and a data-only SIM how do I received SMS text? :confused:

In the US, we have carrier screen that is linked to your SIM carrier. I can manage my VZW account right from my iPad. It also has a special APN for the initial signing up (for setting up user id, password, and c/c details), before your personal account is opened. Very cool.

The 12 month SIM looks interesting. But it's not the micro SIM, I am planning to get a SIM cutter for that.

4. Kaiser99 macrumors member

Did you look at sim only for phones or mobile broadband plans pay as you go I have never had to activate any of my microsim's I think I'm on number 4 you have the option of registering but the card works without and still let's you see the usage from the iPad without registering

5. dchao macrumors 6502a

I know you can use it immediately. Just complaining that you can't top it up. And that you have to buy lots of 3GB SIM's to keep swapping after one is empty. I rather have the convenience of auto top-up than get lots of discounted 3GB SIM's. But without registration,there is no way of doing that.

Apple products are suppose to be simple to use, the UK mobile operators need to work harder to improve iPad experience for the UK users.

6. erpetao macrumors regular

To top up, just go to the Three website while using the Three 3G connection, it will detect your IP and allow you to manage your account without any logins or passwords.

7. dchao macrumors 6502a

Wow - thanks for the tip. That is cool.

8. DKatri thread starter macrumors 6502

I agree with the last point that the carriers need to try harder. Also I wish that the 3GB sim lasted more than 3 months I use the 3G mainly when I'm travelling around and doubt i'd use 3GB in the allotted time.