Activate on wrist raise vs. on tap?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by crawdad62, May 30, 2015.

1. crawdad62 macrumors regular

crawdad62

Yesterday was the first day I had my Apple Watch Sport. I had it set up to activate on wrist raise. I must admit I used it on a run and had BT headphones paired to the watch along with a Podcast that was also native to the watch I also used the walk activity while I played disc golf. So I'm sure that took more power than normal but I was down to about 6% by midnight. That's fine since that's when I would take it off anyway but I also noticed how many times the face activated throughout the day when I really wasn't needing it. I ended up selecting activate on tap which seems like it might cut down on battery usage.

Since this is only the second day I was wondering what everyone is doing? And is there any advantage/disadvantage to either method?

2. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I was going to deactivate mine but after seeing I had plenty of battery left at the end of the day, I left it turned on. Kinda nice to get the time without tapping.

3. echo4sierra macrumors member

echo4sierra

I keep raise on wrist on also-tried it off and it seemed to make the watch sad. No real difference in battery.

4. xthine macrumors regular

xthine

When I don't need it to tell the time I turn off activate on wrist raise. Advantage has been better battery life. When I wear the AW by itself then I turn on the activate on wrist raise function. Now when I'm monitoring a baseball game no question.. Activate on wrist raise and resume to last application.

5. nfl46 macrumors 603

I use tap.

I'm actually surprised we don't have the tap feature on the iPhone...kinda like the LG phones..where you tap the screen to turn it on and double tap to turn it off.

6. srshaw macrumors 6502

It would be annoying having to tap it do see the time, a bit like using a 70s digital watch. Infact the Apple watch reminds of a 70s watch as it is by the way the screen is usually black, especially if using the x large face in red.

I doubt the extra battery used by unintended arm movements would be negligable.

7. crawdad62 thread starter macrumors regular

crawdad62

It is convenient to have it on when you raise your wrist. It's just that I noticed it on a lot. Of course the watch is new and I'm sure I fiddled with it more than normal. I'm gonna try both a few days and see.

8. malochico1 macrumors 6502

mine is on wrist raise all day and at night before bed i change it to tap, since i wear mine to bed for silent alarm.

9. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

I used to have it on Activate on Wrist raise but after turning it off for a day and seeing how I had 30%+ battery life at the end of the day I decided to leave it off.

10. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but it's good to see someone else with significantly better battery life when wrist detection is off. I don't find tapping that annoying, so it's really not a big deal.

11. sumsingwong macrumors 6502a

sumsingwong

I have wrist raise on and still end up with over 50% battery when I go to bed.

12. acctman macrumors 6502a

acctman

put your finger on the home button and it unlocks... done with just one hand, tapping on the screen would require two hands with traditional usage.

13. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

You say yesterday was your first day with the watch. When you opened the box was it fully charged already? If not, did you charge it prior to wearing it? Also, I found that my battery life got better after a couple days of discharging and then charging the battery. I have mine set on turn on for wrist raise and haven't had any battery issues.