Activate or SIM Swap

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MattBroderick24, Nov 2, 2017.

1. MattBroderick24 macrumors newbie

I ordered a full price Verizon iPhone X And created a new Verizon account that I do not intent to use. Should I activate with the Verizon SIM then cancel service? Don’t active the Verizon SIM and simply swap in my AT&T SIM before I do initial boot?

2. planetgirth macrumors member

I am curious also, what is the difference? If i take my SIM out of my iPhone 6 and put in the new one what will happen? will I be able to make calls, text, surf?

I have AT&T if that matters.

Thanks

3. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Hey @planetgirth if you reuse your existing active AT&T SIM, you will not have to wait for the AT&T servers to provision the new SIM. In addition, you will save the upgrade fee by reusing your existing SIM.

Dave

4. planetgirth macrumors member

So, I have a new X coming tomorrow, what are the positives and negatives to doing this compared to activating it as normal? Would I gain anything by getting a new SIM? Do I need to include the SIM if I try to sell to a 3rd party site like Gazelle?

5. jfreak623 macrumors 6502

so if i use my old sim, ATT won't charge me upgrade fee? I thought they do that anyway since they know I bought a new phone on Next.

6. planetgirth macrumors member

Doesn't the new phone come with a SIM? What would be the point of using the old SIM if they still make you pay an upgrade fee?

7. Patrick G macrumors regular

Does AT&T not do like Verizon and base the upgrade fee on the device instead of the SIM?

8. MattBroderick24 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nothing. I think the phone needs to be activated with the sim that comes in box.