Activate or Unlock first

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by dpcrr3, Mar 21, 2010.

1. dpcrr3 macrumors newbie

I live in Europe and my factory unlocked iPhone 3GS developed a fault, my wife is in the USA at the moment and has taken it to an Apple store who have swapped it for a new one but of course it will now be locked to AT&T.

My question is can I unlock an iPhone before it is activated? Then once unlocked can I activate it using my local providers SIM or should I get my Wife to take it to AT&T for activation before she leaves USA in a couple of days time? Should I get an AT&T pay as you go sim card so that it it recognised by my iTunes?

Also do you have to jailbreak before unlocking?

I do not know which firmware version it will be but assume it will be 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 (I know there are issues with unlocking 3.1.3 at the moment but I can wait if necessary).

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Why would you take an unlocked iphone to the US and swap it with a locked on?
    You can only activate a US iphone with an AT&T simcard. AT&T will not activate it for you unless you sign up with them or find someone with an AT&T sim to borrow in order to activate it thru itunes. If it comes with 3.1.3 you're stuck with no unlock or JB. You cannot unlock without JB first.

3. gigapocket1 macrumors 6502a

Who knows?? I mean when apple swapped it out. They change your serial number and imei in their system.. So once you plug it up into iTunes it may unlock itself...

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

This will definatelly NOT happen.

5. dpcrr3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Applejuiced and gigapocket1.

The reason I ended up with a swap was that the iPhone was bought through eBay a few months ago and so warranty work was a problem (no need to comment, I know....I won't do it again I promise :) It worked fine for a few months until a fault developed). My wife was visiting her Sister in Houston so I asked her to take it into the local Apple store to see if they coluld repair it but they swapped it instead (she would not have realised this was a problem).

My Wifes sister used to be on AT&T so if she still is I will see if she can activate it. I asked my Wife to see if AT&T would unlock it for her if she explained the situation but I did tell her it was unlikely but still worth a try.

I liked gigapockets idea but thought it unlikely.

I guess my best plan is to try and get it activated whilst my wife is in USA and then see if it is 3.1.2 or 3.1.3. If needed I will just have to wait until a suitabe JB/UL is available. Would you agree or can you think of a better option?

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

7. Alisstar macrumors 6502

Alisstar

I would suggest for you to contact your service provider. If you have proof that the phone you purchased with them was swapped in the States for one that is locked to AT&T, they may be generous enough to change the EMEI in their system. I've read stories of this being done in the past. Granted it is very rare that they do this because it is also very unusual for people to have an iPhone in one country and then go to another country and have it swapped out. If they don't help you, then you can probably just wait for the unlock if you're on 3.1.3 firmware. Good luck

8. dpcrr3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the help guys. The good news is my wife went to AT&T today and got a pay as you go sim card. They activated the iphone and made sure it was working properly. I just have to wait until she gets home on Friday to see what firmware version it is on. Alisstar, thanks for your suggestion, I will give it a try and see what they say.

9. Gavbo macrumors member

I was under the assumption iphone warranty is only valid in its home country, even with applecare? Is this incorrect?

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Thats correct.

11. dpcrr3 thread starter macrumors newbie

You are correct which is why I was surprised they replaced it. I was just hoping they could repair it for payment. The phone originated in Dubai so I was not in a position to take it in for warranty repair.

12. Gavbo macrumors member

Apologies for going off the original topic, but did your wife had to kick up a fuss to have it replaced? cos I am on the similar boat with an UK locked (but unlocked) iphone 3gs and currently working in China that should developed a warranty fault. Might give that a go.

Also do you think you will run into future warranty issues in Europe with an US iphone?

13. dpcrr3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Gavbo. My wife spoke to a repair tech who checked the details on the phone and immediatly recognised that it was "Foreign" and would therefore not be able to help with a repair. As she was leaving the Tech called her back and said that his Supervisor had suggested that they simply replace the handset.

My wife is only back from USA on Friday so I have not seen it yet and don't know if it's new or refurbished. I do now it is just the phone and it is unboxed.

I don't know about future warranty work in UK but he did fill out some paperwork which he gave to my wife. She has not looked at it though so I can't tell you what it is about but I would guess that it is some sort of confirmation of the exchange (serial numbers etc).

Where we live (Jersey - the original one) we do not have O2 or Orange so I will still need to get it unlocked when one is developed.

14. Gavbo macrumors member

Thanks for the info!! hope the new one has the good firmware and bootrom. Regards

15. dpcrr3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well my Wife returned home today with the iPhone and now I am completely confused but in a good way.

The phone is:
    Version 3.1.3(7E18),
    Carrier 5.1
    Serial Number 5K00954X..... (I believe the K shows that it is refurbished but made in week 54???)
    Modem Firmware 05.12.01

I assumed as it was 3.1.3 I would only be able to use it like an iPod touch until a JB/UL was available. I connected it to iTunes and loaded my old backup of music and aps.

I then decided to see what would happen if I put my UK sim card in the phone and to my amasement everything works 100% despite being told by the Apple store that it was locked and the AT&T shop saying they could not unlock it. Not that I am complaining, in fact I could not be happier.

The only thing I have noticed is that when I connect to iTunes a message pops up saying that "iTunes needs to check for an update to the carrier settings for your phone". Seeing as everything is working OK I have just ignored it. What is all this about and should I check for an update?

Would you think that I have simply been given a factory unlocked phone by mistake or could it be something to do with reinstalling the backup from my previous factory unlocked phone?

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It doesn't make any sense why or how it works with a non AT&T sim.
    But if does then that's all that matters.

17. dpcrr3 thread starter macrumors newbie

I agree, it makes no sense but as you say who cares, it works.

It appears to be factory unlocked like the phone they replaced as I tried another carryers sim and that worked fine as well. Maybe they swapped like for like or it was just my good luck.

Another advantage I have found is that I am getting more than twice the usage from a battery charge.

Thanks for all your help and advice.