Activate Verizon iPhone 6 Plus overseas?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by MacbookSwitcher, Nov 9, 2014.

1. MacbookSwitcher macrumors 6502

MacbookSwitcher

Due to certain circumstances, I'll be getting a non-contract/full price Verizon iPhone 6 Plus. The problem is, I'm overseas and will be until next year, and I'd like to either use the iPhone 6 Plus as an iPod Touch, or plug in a local SIM and use it here, before activating it on a plan with Verizon when I return to the US next year.

Is it possible to set up for use a non-contract Verizon iPhone 6 Plus without being able to connect to the Verizon network, and without signing up for a Verizon data plan?

Thank you.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes.
    The verizon 6 Plus will activate and work with any gsm sim in the world.
    You dont need to activate it or ever use it on verizon. Its fully unlocked without having to do anything.

3. MacbookSwitcher thread starter macrumors 6502

MacbookSwitcher

Thanks.

And is it possible to use the Verizon iPhone 6 Plus without ever inserting a SIM, as a WiFi-only device (until I return to the US)?

Finally, will Verizon give me any trouble when I return next year, when I take it in and ask them to activate it on a plan? (A month-to-month plan of course, since it's non-contract)

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You will first need to activate the phone to get into the homescreen and be able to use it as an ipod touch wifionly device.
    So any gsm sim or if it comes with a verizon sim inside will activate it with no probs.
    Verizon will not give you any problems using it on their network. All you need to do is ask them for a sim to put inside your verizon 6 plus and once they give you that you will stick it in and have verizon service. And then decide what noncontract plan you want to pick etc...

5. MacbookSwitcher thread starter macrumors 6502

MacbookSwitcher

Thanks again for your helpful answers. May God bless you.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You're welcome my friend.
    Enjoy your new iphone.