activate

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Madness, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Madness macrumors regular

hey ... i just lost an auction on ebay ... i made a bid like 30 seconds before the auction was over " i had a stop watch next to me " ROFL!

how ever someone managed to out bid in this short period ... :mad:

n i lost

anyways...

am looking at new auction

its an iphone that is with at&t ... i have an at&t prepaid card n i assume itll work right ?

so my question is ... if i won the item ... and restored it ... will it ask me to activate it again ? " after putting my sim in " ?

or its just when the guy bought the iphone ?

because when i go home im gonna unlock " i think i can do that ... since its already working n unlocking is a software thing"

so if i won this , i wont have to worry about no activation right ?

2. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

No you don't have to activate if you unlock it.

Or if you don't unlock, I'm pretty sure that a pre-paid AT&T SIM card works also.

3. Madness thread starter macrumors regular

4. dave006 macrumors 68020

Yes, with an AT&T SIM, pre-paid or post-paid. Just decide what you are going to do for a data plan.

Also you might try something called "esnipe" to win those eBay auctions. That is how many last second auctions are won.

Dave

5. Madness thread starter macrumors regular

ok ok ok ... im lost

if i bought this phone and plugged my pay as you go card ... itll work right ?

ok ... what if i reestored it ... what will happen when i put my card in if i restored it ?

6. Madness thread starter macrumors regular

up
    srry post went down really fast n i need an answer asp
    thanks

7. Madness thread starter macrumors regular

8. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

All iPhones need to be activated before you can use them. You can do this with iTunes or PwnageTool.

9. dave006 macrumors 68020

Let's try to make this easy.

1. Yes it will work with your prepaid card but what are you going to do for data access if any? You also will not have Visual Voicemail as this feature requires an iPhone 3G data plan

2. You can restore it all you like, the restore will just lock it back to the provider and in your case that is AT&T if it was sold in the US ask the seller on eBay to confirm the original service provider.

3. If you "Unlock" it then it can work on other service providers, you do not need to unlock it to use your AT&T prepaid card!

4. Any future update from Apple may relock your iPhone 3G. Do not rush to install any future updates from iTunes without checking the forums.

Dave