Activated Original iPhone with AT&T -- Eligible for 3G subsidized pricing when?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by saturnino3, Dec 16, 2008.

1. saturnino3 macrumors member

Just today, I activated my original iPhone with AT&T after buying an AT&T off Amazon.com.

I restored the iPhone, activated it with AT&T through iTunes and I'm interested in getting the 3G at the subsidized price of $199/$299.

I called 611 3 times now and I'm either told that I need to have the line for 60 days or that I would MAYBE be eligible for the subsidized pricing of the phone in August 2010.

Can someone advise as to when I could be eligible for the subsidized pricing if I have an Original iPhone active with AT&T?

(AT&T customer service is terrible).

2. polishmacuser macrumors 6502a

polishmacuser

well why did you in the first place buy an original iphone and sign up for a contract once you signed up your stuck buddy unless you pay the etf. Should have bought the 3g iphone first even thought they were out for idk since june.

3. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

That doesn't sound right. There was no subsidy on the original iPhone, so you should be eligible for one 2 years after your last subsidized phone purchase from AT&T. Maybe they have that 60 day rule (I've never bought phones 2 months apart on the same line). But unless there's a rule like that, you should be good for a new 3G phone anytime.

4. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Hah, you're about 5 months late. This "was" one of the loopholes being exploited to get 3G at discounted price, it has long been squashed.

5. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I believe it was that if you activate an original iPhone before July 11, 2008 then your eligible for an upgrade to a 3G right away, but if you activate an original iPhone after July 11th then your stuck with that phone for two years.