Activating 3gs t-mobile prepaid use IMEI from iphone

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by WalledMacGarden, Jun 30, 2010.

1. WalledMacGarden macrumors regular

Help...just got a prepaid sim activation kit, put sim into iphone and shows t-mobile so GREAT...but now do I use the iPhones IMEI with the activation number on the card? Do I activate it on the prepaid T-mobile card?

What do I do next, don't want to use the iPhones IMEI if that causes problems, don't want to use the t-mobile phone to activate if it attaches to that phone for a period of time.

So can or (should) I use the iPhones IMEI for activation?

2. BuStOsAvIcH macrumors member

BuStOsAvIcH

The funny thing is that I was in the same situation. I didn't want to let them know I was using an unlocked iPhone so I called T-Mobile to go through the activation process and when they asked me for the IMEI I said I didn't have a phone right now and was using a friends. They said they could bypass that for now and I could change it later on, but the phone would still work.

3. GD825 macrumors newbie

what phone did you tell them you were setting up with prepaid? and what plan did you use?

4. WalledMacGarden thread starter macrumors regular

Didn't do it yet, wanted to know if I can or should use the iphones IMEI #'s I was going to use the internet, and type in the activation #'s and IMEI #

What happens if use the iphones IMEI? will it be OK...is there a better method?

5. cobaltrich27 macrumors 6502

cobaltrich27

Curious?

I'm curious how this works?

I bought a little micro sim card tray from eBay (the good plastic type) works great.

Next i took my att micro sim out of 4g and placed it in my 3g.

Then I restored my 3G to clean ios4 install and using for AT&T carrier legit iTunes activation. After that i jailbroke and even though not needed unlocked the 3G just to test & works fine with my att plan.

Last I put my sim back in my 4g and works just fine. Will this cause any issues? Been 3 days since I did it with no problems and my account looks good online.

Next I want to buy the tmobile prepaid sim like you just to experiment with the old 3G. I was with tmobile before the 4g so I'm familiar with unlocks etc. Have you found a carrier bundle with ios4 for tmobile and what did you end up doing to get this working?

Thanks for any advice.

6. WalledMacGarden thread starter macrumors regular

Anyone have an answer?

Can I or should I use the iPhones IMEI# to activate pay as you go T-mobile on my 3gs? Whats everyone else do here?

Or use an old sim already activated on a T-mobile Pay as you go? I read somewhere to use all ones? Will that work online?

7. yifanlu macrumors member

I gave them ny iPhone imei back in the 2g days. They don't care that you have an unlocked iPhone, in fact, they're happy you're choosing them. Their suopport team even helped me various times my iPhone 2g stopped getting reception.

8. GD825 macrumors newbie

ya but now they will charge you the more expensive data package if you try to setup an iphone...

9. mokeiko macrumors 6502

I purchased a T-Mobile Pay As You Go phone, called customer service to activate the T-Mobile phone and just switch my iPhone 3GS sim. Being that I can only make calls (No Data or Text messaging), I don't think it matters what IMEI you use as long as they get paid.

mokeiko

10. cobaltrich27 macrumors 6502

cobaltrich27

Tmobile phone first.

I still have a Blackerry pearl flip was from when I had tmobile. I was originally using the sim that came with tmobile in my ebay iphone 3g just fine was getting edge data.

I was reading something about using a tmobile phone first to activate the sim?

Guess I could use my old tmobile blackberry to activate the prepaid sim then put it in my iPhone will this help avoid the more expensive data plan tmobile thinking its just a blackberry?

Also have they released a carrier package to work with ios4 tmobile yet for mms messaging etc? We know the settings but there is still a cydia carrier package that must be installed for it all to work properly with ios4. I want to wait for that first before I get the prepaid stuff.

Well looks like I need to do more reading about prepaid data plan prices etc... Thanks for reminding me about the data package stuff.

OH where are you guys buying the prepaid sim package I see it at the website how about locally like at walmart etc?

11. WalledMacGarden thread starter macrumors regular

What IMEI # did you give them? the one from the pay as you go phone? I thought that would lock the sim to the T-mobile phone?

12. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

True, they dont care if you have an iPhone.

13. yifanlu macrumors member

No, phones can be locked to sims, but sims cannot be locked to phones.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Thats false.
    Some prepaid sims activated with prepaid phones lock up and can only be used with the cellphone they were first activated with.

15. mokeiko macrumors 6502

I gave them the IMEI # from the Pay As You Go Phone. After I hung up I took the sim out and inserted it into my iPhone 3GS, no problems

mokeiko

16. WalledMacGarden thread starter macrumors regular

SWEET! That's what I just did and worked like a charm, did it over the web, thanks for the help...I was concerned it would lock to the t-mobile phone.

Oh, what did you do with the t-mobile phone? can I buy an activation kit and give that to someone in my family or will that screw something up with 2 identical IMEI being used?

17. mokeiko macrumors 6502

I haven't done anything with the go phone, I purchased it for the sim card to make sure my unlocked 3GS was working properly before I could sell it. I plan on putting the sim back into the go phone and use the go phone as a spare.

mokeiko

18. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

just use the sim imei that came from tmobile....it doesnt matter what sim card the phone is in after that

19. GD825 macrumors newbie

just use the sim imei that came from tmobile....

what do u mean by that?

a imei on the sim card itself?

20. bluestar01 macrumors newbie

WalledMacGarden and mokeiko, I am glad that you were able to use/test prepaid T-Mobile SIM cards with your iPhones with no problems. I also plan on using a SIM card from a T-Mobile Pay As You Go phone with my iPhone (2G) after my contract with AT&T ends. I’ll buy a PAYG phone online at t-mobile.com, initiate the number port process online, and then activate the phone online after I receive it in the mail. Given what Applejuiced said earlier, though, I am concerned that I might choose a T-Mobile PAYG phone model whose SIM will lock with its IMEI after activation (I want to do what you did, WalledMacGarden/mokeiko, and activate the prepaid SIM using the PAYG phone’s IMEI).

My question is this: WalledMacGarden, mokeiko, which PAYG phone models did you buy to obtain the SIM cards? That way, I know which PAYG phones will not lock to the SIM cards they were first activated with. Or, perhaps this locking situation doesn’t occur with T-Mobile phones, and I am safe using any T-Mobile phone’s IMEI to activate their prepaid SIM card for use with my iPhone 2G?

Thank you!

21. larock macrumors member

Yesterday I went in to a T-Mobile store and bought a prepaid sim for $10. While there I had the guy set up the account and port over a number from Verizon. Not once was I asked what phone I was going to use or the IMEI for a phone. Hell, they didn't even ask me for my home address. Not that I would hesitate to give either.

Side note; I am very happy with the $15 unlimited text plan. I have always hated paying AT&T as much as I was considering I mostly used SMS and wifi.

22. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

I have an iPhone Repair Service and I Jailbreak and Unlock iPhones. T~Mobile is my best referral source. they send me customers every day to have their iPhones unlocked to use on their network as well as repairs. they are very helpful when I have issues and they are happy to have more customers on their network so dont hesitate to ask them for assistance.

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Exactly.
    Tmobile will help out people using unlocked iphones on their network.
    They dont care, they still get your monthly service payment. :)
    They even will give you guidance on how to setup edge data and MMS settings, and even how to install tmobile packages thru cydia.
    Good customer service for sure.

24. larock macrumors member

Just in case someone else need this here are directions I found to set up MMS on the T-Mobile Prepaid account. Someone else wrote it, I'm just passing it forward. Works great for me, but use at your own risk.

This is especially useful for ios4 users:
    1) Change to the following
    network settings:
    Cellular Data APN: internet2.voicestream.com
    MMS APN: epc.tmobile.com
    MMSC: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
    MMS Proxy: 216.155.165.50:8080
    MMS Max Message Size: 1048576
    MMS UA Prof URL: http://www.apple.com/mms/uaprof.rdf
    Tethering APN: internet2.voicestream.com

2) Open Cydia and make sure http://www.sinfuliphonerepo.com is added to your sources Tap on Sections > SiNfuL iPhone and install T-Mobile iOS4 MMS Fix After installing and rebooting, have someone send you a mms picture message.

25. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

To add to that, ..if epc.tmobile.com does not work for you, then try wap.voicestream.com

I used to use the first one but it stopped working for me and the 2nd one works fine .