Activating a factory unlocked iphone 3GS?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by sspu119, Jul 4, 2009.

1. sspu119 macrumors newbie

So I'm in the US and I got a factory unlocked iPhone 3GS. How do I go about activating it in iTunes? Would the AT&T stuff still come up or would it go differently since the phone is already unlocked by Apple? Also I'm using T-mobile, so would I have to put in my sim card while I activate the phone or do I just activate the phone simcard-less?

Any help would be appreciated. Sorry if this is posted in the wrong part of the iPhone forum.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Out of curiosity how much did you pay? And what's the warranty story, does Apple give you an unlocked one if something goes wrong?

3. sspu119 thread starter macrumors newbie

I got it off of ebay but slightly cheaper than what they are going for. As for the warranty, it has to be from the country it came from. So look for a listing that says they'll take care of any hardware issues.

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Put in SIM, plug in iPhone.

That's what I did.

5. macachia macrumors regular

I can confirm that

6. rvcohen macrumors newbie

Factory unlocked activation

By plug in, you mean plug in to Itunes, correct?

7. Pixellated macrumors 65816

They do. Just activate in the normal way.

8. ikm19 macrumors 6502

ikm19

I have iPhone 3gs legally unlocked and u can restore or upgrade via iTunes. When u restore ur iPhone it will show your iPhone is unlocked.

9. rvcohen macrumors newbie

When I turn the iphone on it shows the sign with the cable and itunes logo. So, it's just go forward and proceed with activation? Tks