Activating an iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by daihard, Jun 24, 2010.

1. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

I know this is a rather dumb question, but I don't want to mess anything up at this point...

The instructions that came with my iPhone 4 say the phone must be turned off in order for activation to complete. Does it mean completely shut off, not just in sleep mode? Or does it even matter?

I've never had an iPhone activated at home. I've had all my previous ones activated either at an Apple Store or AT&T store...

Thanks!

2. bthompson macrumors regular

Turn it completely off. I just did it and it worked fine.

3. daihard thread starter macrumors 6502a

daihard

Thanks for the quick response! :)

4. jtara macrumors 65816

Turn it off WHEN?

I got mine at an Apple Store. They activated it in-store, and didn't say anything about turning it off. They said it could take up to an hour, but that some people reported that it would activate as soon as you walked out of the store and got a good signal.

Nope.

Not only is it not activated, it also says "no service", as does my OLD phone. So, no phone service, period. (Can't wait for the class-action from the people who had some emergency and had no phone service...)

So, do I try turning it off and back on again?

ATT once again proves incompetent.

Edit: nope, this time it was Apple that was incompetent. I think they were giving out bad advice at the retail store. They were telling everyone just to wait, and it would eventually activate. Bull pucky. I'll bet it would NEVER have activated...

I did a full reboot (top button and home button), and it activated immediately upon startup.

Giving customers the right information before they leave the store would have saved a lot of people a lot of trouble.