activating an iphone- already an att customer

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by yuppietrash, Aug 8, 2009.

1. yuppietrash macrumors newbie

hoping someone can give me an accurate answer here. my wife and i are current att customers and have been for a several years. we still have 15 :( months left on our contract and neither of us currently have an iphone and we are not even close to a discounted price on an iphone thru att. what is the process if we buy an iphone off ebay? will we have to sign a new contract to switch one of our phones over to an iphone? and as i looked around for info on this online i saw that there is a credit check? is that just the typical att credit check, which i dont think would apply since we are already customers, or is this thru itunes? our credit scores are terrible right now from some med bills we had last year. i hate to buy a phone off ebay and then fine out we cant even activate it because our scores are too low.

thanx for the info- just want to know for sure before we spend the money!

2. skball123 macrumors regular

First, if you buy it off ebay, all you do is put your *3G sim card into it, and it's activated in about 1-2 minutes. You then would have to call AT&T, and tell them you have an iPhone and need the necessary plan for it.
    *If you don't have a new 3G sim, just go into an AT&T store and ask for one. There is no charge.

The credit check is only when you buy the phone through Apple or AT&T, so no worries there. You will not have to purchase a new two year contract, since you are buying it off ebay. The only thing you will need to change is your plan which I stated above.

Hope this helps, and enjoy your new iPhone! :D

3. yuppietrash thread starter macrumors newbie

thanx so much for the quick reply- appreciate the info. thats what i thought, but i wanted to be positive! :)