activating an iphone- already an att customer

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by yuppietrash, Aug 8, 2009.

1. yuppietrash macrumors newbie

Aug 8, 2009
    hoping someone can give me an accurate answer here. my wife and i are current att customers and have been for a several years. we still have 15 :( months left on our contract and neither of us currently have an iphone and we are not even close to a discounted price on an iphone thru att. what is the process if we buy an iphone off ebay? will we have to sign a new contract to switch one of our phones over to an iphone? and as i looked around for info on this online i saw that there is a credit check? is that just the typical att credit check, which i dont think would apply since we are already customers, or is this thru itunes? our credit scores are terrible right now from some med bills we had last year. i hate to buy a phone off ebay and then fine out we cant even activate it because our scores are too low.

thanx for the info- just want to know for sure before we spend the money!
  2. skball123 macrumors regular

Sep 11, 2007
    First, if you buy it off ebay, all you do is put your *3G sim card into it, and it's activated in about 1-2 minutes. You then would have to call AT&T, and tell them you have an iPhone and need the necessary plan for it.
    *If you don't have a new 3G sim, just go into an AT&T store and ask for one. There is no charge.

The credit check is only when you buy the phone through Apple or AT&T, so no worries there. You will not have to purchase a new two year contract, since you are buying it off ebay. The only thing you will need to change is your plan which I stated above.

Hope this helps, and enjoy your new iPhone! :D
  3. yuppietrash thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 8, 2009
    thanx so much for the quick reply- appreciate the info. thats what i thought, but i wanted to be positive! :)