Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dazzaboo1969

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2008
I would really appreciate some help with this. I have an iphone 2G that I bought second hand that was activated to O2. I was going to unlock to my network in Taiwan, but before I had chance it crashed, and I had to do a system restore. Now it is asking me to insert a valid sim card to activate the phone, which I don't have.

I just wondered if I use the pwnage tool to unlock, will it also activate the phone for me? I have read different forums, and from what I can gather, I need to make sure my iphone is connected and recognised by itunes in order to unlock it. At the moment itunes does not recognise it until it has been activated.

Can someone please confirm how I should do this? If I am ok to run the pwnage tool, and get it all done while it is not activated, I would be very happy.

Thanks

ucsdmac

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2008
I would really appreciate some help with this. I have an iphone 2G that I bought second hand that was activated to O2. I was going to unlock to my network in Taiwan, but before I had chance it crashed, and I had to do a system restore. Now it is asking me to insert a valid sim card to activate the phone, which I don't have.

I just wondered if I use the pwnage tool to unlock, will it also activate the phone for me? I have read different forums, and from what I can gather, I need to make sure my iphone is connected and recognised by itunes in order to unlock it. At the moment itunes does not recognise it until it has been activated.

Can someone please confirm how I should do this? If I am ok to run the pwnage tool, and get it all done while it is not activated, I would be very happy.

Thanks

Go through with pwnage..you should be able to unlock it without a sim card.

dazzaboo1969

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2008
Activation?

But will it activate? I'm just a little confused at what point do I connect my iphone to itunes during the pwnage. All tutorials say to make sure itunes recognises your iphone, but mine won't because it's not activated.

ucsdmac

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2008
But will it activate? I'm just a little confused at what point do I connect my iphone to itunes during the pwnage. All tutorials say to make sure itunes recognises your iphone, but mine won't because it's not activated.

open up pwnage.. go through all the steps up to the point when it asks you to turn off your phone.. then turn off your phone.. then go through the next steps (hold power+home, release power, etc...) Itunes should recognize your iphone through this whole process.

This is all assuming you are updating to 2.0.2 (and NOT 2.1) using itunes 7.7 (and NOT 8) since pwnage does not work with neither yet.

tamabaev

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2008
iTunes will recognize you if you put your iPhone into DFU mode.
I have the same problem after upgrading to 2.1
Seems better to first downgrade it to 2.0.2 and then unlock it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.