Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Daveecee

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2008
FL
Hey, all. As you probably know, activation of the iPhone from the comfort of your own home was recently (and quietly) brought back as an option. I'll be getting an iPhone 3G as a gift for Christmas, but I'm waiting until the MacWorld Expo keynote on January 6th to see what happens with storage updates (32GB please!). Anyway, I'm just a college student home on Winter Break, on my family's cell phone plan. I go back the 5th, so after that I'll be back at school and won't have my parents to activate my phone for me in-store. This is why I am excited that home activation is now an option again. I could drive to my nearest Apple Store, get the phone myself, and activate it from my dorm room.

Have any of you guys activated your new iPhones from home?

TheMBC

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2008
I believe the option to activate at home is only available if you purchase it online.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
One of the things about purchasing the iPhone yourself, is to make sure you are an authorized user that can make changes and purchases without the account holder being present. Some Apple Stores are sticklers for having authorization or the account holder present, also make sure you are eligible for an upgrade, so check with your Apple Store and give AT&T a call...

TheMBC

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2008
Or if you can log on to your att.com account you can add yourself as an authorize user.

Daveecee

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2008
FL
I'm eligible for an upgrade in two days, haha. But yeah, I should get myself added as an authorized user. Thanks for that tip.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.