Activating at Home

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by L0st3489, Jul 31, 2010.

1. L0st3489 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

Quick question, I am on Verizon right now and going to Apple Store tomorrow to purchase an iP4 and switch to ATT. I will not be porting my number and I will be starting completely fresh. Must I get the new phone activated in store or will I be able to bring it home and do it myself. I know it was switched back and forth I believe and conflicts depending on situation and was wondering what it would be in my case. I would like to do the unboxing and activation myself. If they must activate it in store at the Apple Store, are there any retailers that do not require in store activation. Or in the end if I want to do the unboxing and it all myself, must I order online, which if that is the case the 3 weeks is probably not worth that luxury.

Thanks for the help, long time reader everyday, new poster. I tried to find an answer via the search tool, but could not find my particular situation.

Thanks again.

2. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

If you buy from apple store you will leave with an activated phone. I haven't heard of anyone getting out of the store with it in the box still.

I bought from Best Buy and they let me leave with it wrapped and I activated it at home, but ultimately it wasn't worth worrying about I would have been just fine with them activating it for me.

3. xraytech macrumors 68030

On launch day, I walked out of the Apple Store with a sealed box, so I activated at home. But I'm an existing customer so it might be different for you.

4. CaCohen0509 macrumors regular

actually, the guy at my apple store was really cool, he let me take it home and active it. It's more fun un-boxing it at home anyways.

5. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

Cool deal I hadn't heard any stories about taking it home to activate from apple so far. I bought at best buy because I had gift cards though so I was glad they let me leave with it.