Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gopherblue

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 16, 2010
I have an ATT microSIM in my 2G iphone, activated on the $20 unlimited plan a week or so ago--my plan is to use the 2G loophole to get the unlimited data plan grandfathered to my IP4. This week I am receiving a brand new, factory unlocked, Canadian IP4, never activated.

My concern: activating the IP4. I am worried that I need to activate the IP4 via iTunes, and that when I put the 2G's microSIM in the IP4, iTunes is going to ask me to select a plan. Is this a valid concern?

Those who have used the 2G loophole are using already activated IP4's. In order to do the trick, as I understand it, I have to simply put the microSIM in an already activated IP4, and ATT will by default switch my plan and grandfather me. But what if I have to activate the IP4 first, with my 2G plan microSIM? Will ATT then pop up on iTunes and require me to select a new plan?

Alternative strategy: My buddy has an IP4 with ATT. Can I borrow his microSIM for a few minutes solely to activate the new Canadian IP4 in iTunes, then pop my microSIM in? There should be no problem for him or me if his microSIM is moved from one phone to the other just to activate the phone, right?

Thanks,
Goph

JokerD

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2008
You already have the unlimited plan, so you're already grandfathered in. When you activate in itunes, it won't ask you to select a new plan, you can continue on the unlimited

gopherblue

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 16, 2010
You already have the unlimited plan, so you're already grandfathered in. When you activate in itunes, it won't ask you to select a new plan, you can continue on the unlimited

Thanks for the response--but is this the case, even though I only got the unlimited plan last week or so?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.