Activating do not disturb on the iPhone using your A Watch,

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by ianrip, Mar 31, 2015.

1. ianrip macrumors 6502

ianrip

work:Oyu Tolgio, Home:LOS, From Scotland G15
    Do you think we will be able to activate DND on the Iphone using the :apple: Watch???

I remember reading something about muting the :apple:Watch, but will it mute the Iphone also

this could be a killer feature for me

2. hemolyzer macrumors member

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

My guess is it won't work like how Handoff is currently designed, i.e., you won't get double notifications nor need to mute twice.

4. danniexi macrumors 6502

covering the watch with your other hands mutes the device. i believe "do not disturb" would be under the settings in the watch itself. i think i remember reading that somewhere but not sure.

5. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

OP is asking if the :apple:Watch can mute the iPhone also. We have not seen any evidence in the Companion App that the :apple:Watch has any control settings for the iPhone.

[​IMG]

6. Jolttz0r macrumors newbie

I am pretty sure I have seen somewhere that turning on DND on your watch will also activate DND on your phone and vice versa. Similar to this option:

[​IMG]

7. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Good catch and a great indicator.

8. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

Now how does this work? You enable airplane mode and you just lost your connection with the phone. Will airplane mode no longer turn off bluetooth?

----------

To me, it would be really dumb to not mute all alerts on the phone while you are wearing the watch. Handoff is absurdly annoying in this way. Hopefully research they've done developing the watch will help them fix handoff and more importantly make them work consistently so the user knows what to expect no matter which protocol is in use.

9. Bigserver1 macrumors regular

I fully agree with this. I keep my phone on DND all the time because when I'm in meetings etc. I don't want the vibrating. Ideally while wearing the watch, the only thing that will alert you about an incoming notification will be the taps on your wrist, not that and the phone vibrating, making noise etc.

10. tgwaste macrumors 6502a

tgwaste

OP doesn't want airplane he wants DND. They are two different settings.

11. Jolttz0r macrumors newbie

If you actually read my post you'd understand that I was merely providing an example of what might be an option for DND. :rolleyes:

12. jwball macrumors regular

Maybe it selectively turns off all other radio except bluetooth.

After all you can turn bluetooth on in airplane mode.

13. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

It might be that BT doesn't turn off, or you might have to enable it again/turn off airplane mode manually on both devices to restore the connection.

Then again, airplane mode is pretty much obsolete these days I believe, since authorities have decided after long last that consumer wireless tech isn't a threat to airplane operations. :)

It's been said in the past that phone alerts are suppressed while the Watch is on your wrist (using the pulse sensors to detect that the device is being worn.) So, you should be covered on that front... :)

14. ianrip thread starter macrumors 6502

ianrip

work:Oyu Tolgio, Home:LOS, From Scotland G15
    Do we have anything official about "suppressed alerts " anywhere

That's exactly what I need