Activating IPad Pro on ATT

Kanders78

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 26, 2015
Kansas
I’m running into problems getting my iPad activated onto my existing account. I’m replacing an iPad Pro 10.5 and when going to the ATT corporate store they acted like they had no clue and just told me to wait 24 hours for it to activate. Anyone else have similar issues?

Azathoth123

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2018
Fountain City
Not AT$T, but Verizon and I had to call support with a similar issue. All they needed was the IP IMEI and the serial of the SIM card (Big Red still uses a SIM card). A few seconds later, I was set up. I did this at the Apple store so they knew who to call. You might be able to do it online, but since I was in the store I had them call.

You’d think that it would be easier to give a telcom money ....

jazz1

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
I’m running into problems getting my iPad activated onto my existing account. I’m replacing an iPad Pro 10.5 and when going to the ATT corporate store they acted like they had no clue and just told me to wait 24 hours for it to activate. Anyone else have similar issues?
I went to a AT&T store and had no problems.

Porterhouse

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2011
USA
They transferred my Sims card to the new iPP at the Apple store and its working fine. No involvement from AT&T at this point.

Lobwedgephil

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2012
They transferred my Sims card to the new iPP at the Apple store and its working fine. No involvement from AT&T at this point.
That is the easiest way, otherwise you need to call At&t and give them the new IMEI number, but they will know you have a new device and try to charge you an activation fee.

Azathoth123

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2018
Fountain City
I could have done that, and thought about it. The SIM card was free at the Apple store and Verizon gives you 3 months of free data with a new IP line, so I figured I’d set it up new then delete the old device later.

Reactions: Porterhouse

techiegirl

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
I took the SIM card out of my 10.5 and put it in my new 12.9. Works like a charm.

Proteinaceous

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2004
I have one of the original ATT unlimited iPad plans. I’ve been transferring it from one iPad to the next for years. Had no trouble transferring to the new one today.

jazz1

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Just wanted to share that AT&T charges a restocking fee of $35.00 on iPads should you change your mind. I refused delivery and got billed the first payment. I’m sure it was in the fine print. Oh, well. Got one sooner at Apple Store and paid cash.

koooolkeith

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2015
Portland, Oregon
Just wanted to share that AT&T charges a restocking fee of $35.00 on iPads should you change your mind. I refused delivery and got billed the first payment. I’m sure it was in the fine print. Oh, well. Got one sooner at Apple Store and paid cash.
If the iPad was unopened “original package/unbroken seal” you shouldn’t be charged a restocking fee.