Activating iPhone 1 after July 11

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wolfpackfan, Jun 11, 2008.

1. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

Okay, I need some opinions here. I currently have an original iPhone. It was previously activated and used with AT&T for about 3 months before I canceled my AT&T account and paid the ETF. The reason I did this was because I also have a 4 line Sprint contract that doesn't expire until next January and I was tired of paying the extra $66/month. I figured the savings of not paying that $66/month for a year would far offset the ETF of $175. My plan was/is to reactivate the iphone next January while at the same time I move all four of my lines to AT&T. In the meantime I'm using my iPhone as a Touch basically. I've had no problems with updates or anything like that, even though it has no service now.

Okay, here is my question - will I have any issues next January when I try to reactivate this original iPhone? Will I still be able to just activate it within iTunes as I did originally? Finally, will I fall under the original iPhone rate plan? All of the issues raised with Monday's announcement have really raised some questions in my mind and I'm a little concerned about what might happen. Thanks for any opinions.

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

No. As I understand it, the rate plan you had will cease to exist. As you will be a new customer in January you will have to sign up for their only existing plan, which is the one that the iPhone2 customers will get.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

That's the way it appears to me also, although I have not seen any hard confirmation of this.

4. wolfpackfan thread starter macrumors 68000

So I wonder what would happen if I reactivate now? Which plan would I get? I'm beginning to wonder if I should reactive now (or before July 11).

5. cineapple macrumors regular

yes, i think you should definitely activate before July 11th. That is what I am doing with my new used iphone. I am going to wait a couple of days, so my 30-day trial window will overlap the July 11th release. That way, I can keep my options open when the 3g is released, and see what is officially offered. If I want to change over to the 3g.