Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Khurram

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
I just sold my wife's 3gs and put her sim back in her old original 2g iphone.

Something went wrong and I had to do a restore and update.

So the situation now is that we have an updated iphone 2g with 3.1.3 and the sim card from her 3gs in there.

Now when I sync to itunes (the iphone screen says connect to iphone) it wants me to go through a whole new setup and is asking me what package I want for the data and messaging etc.

I don't want to go forward as i'm worried it's going to somehow sign me up for a new two year plan or some additional charges.

I know her sim card is already active because it was working in the 3gs.

Is there anyway I can activate the iphone 2g without going through itunes so it just works on her 3gs sim? Or can I go forward and activate through itunes without it charging me for a new contract or any additional fees?

I'm usually good at this sort of thing but i'm stumped on this one.
thanks in advance

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I think Redsn0w can hackitvate it. Take a look at it and make sure you read up on it first. If you don't want the full jailbreak experience make sure you uncheck "Install Cydia".

Khurram

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
I think Redsn0w can hackitvate it. Take a look at it and make sure you read up on it first. If you don't want the full jailbreak experience make sure you uncheck "Install Cydia".

At this point I don't care for unlock or jailbreak.
I just want it activated like it already should be. Her sim should still be active from the 3gs account.

I don't understand what's going with it and why it's trying to make me reactivate it by going through all the steps with the data package and text package. I'm just worried about upping my 2 year contract for no reason.

Khurram

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
Thanks guys..
trying it now.
So this will maintain the same data/text plan w/o any changes that she had before on her iphone 3gs correct?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Thanks guys..
trying it now.
So this will maintain the same data/text plan w/o any changes that she had before on her iphone 3gs correct?

Yes. I'm writing up a quick tutorial for you. Just hold on while my files download if you want.

Khurram

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
Yes. I'm writing up a quick tutorial for you. Just hold on while my files download if you want.

Thanks a ton!
I think I can follow the iclarified tutorial pretty well as i've done this before for many iphones (unlock/jailbreak).
I was just unsure as to what was the most updated way to do this for a 2g since I haven't touched one in two years.

I welcome your tutorial though

Khurram

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
I downloaded 3.1.3 from modmyi and ran redsnow and selected the firmware but it says unable to recognize the selected firmware

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I'm running into some roadblocks with my quick tutorial. Namely, it's late and I'm seeing dots. I'm guessing I'll be going to sleep soon.

I leave you in the good and capable hands of Applejuiced.

Good night, Intell.

myvoip07

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2010
I downloaded 3.1.3 from modmyi and ran redsnow and selected the firmware but it says unable to recognize the selected firmware
Use 3.1.2 and also make sure you use redsn0w 0.9.4 ver, using redsnow latest version will give you the above error mesg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.