Activating iPhone 2G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by solid0mike, Feb 17, 2011.

1. solid0mike macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, I have a iPhone 4 with the 2GB cap plan, and wanted to try the iPhone 2G unlimited data trick.
    Now, my brother has the original iPhone 2G, he lives in Cali, I live in TX. so before he goes through the hasel of sending it to me, I wanted to make sure I can activate it.

I have a micro-sim/regular sim adapter, so swapping them wont be a problem. The problem is, his LCD on the iPhone 2G is broken, he says something about a digitizer. Since I have no need for the phone itself, just to do the trick, am I able to activate my sim with his iphone through itunes NOT using the screen? or do I actually have to have a working iphone screen to do this?

He has it unlocked for tmobile, but I'm sure I can restore it back to regular mode using itunes since that doesn't require the screen.
    Thank you

2. drummr macrumors regular

I did this a few days ago, and if I remember correctly, everything is done via iTunes and not on the iPhone itself. The 2g needs to be restored and set up as new also. I used a brand new sim that I got from At&t, not sure if that's necessary.

3. perezmarco macrumors member

Ummm I did it a couple of days ago and if I remember correctly, I didn't have to use the screen. Go to your closest AT&T and get a blank regular sim card. When you restore your iPhone 2G, insert it and activate the iPhone 2G through iTunes. After that, go back to your AT&T store and tell them you want to activate your iPhone 4 and keep your unlimited data plan.