Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bina12834

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 22, 2008
so i plan on having my iPhone 4 delivered to my office on the 24th and i was wondering if its possible to just activate the phone at my office, and do the full sync when i get home? If so how would i go about doing that? I currently don't have iTunes on my office computer.

lorenwade

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2008
so i plan on having my iPhone 4 delivered to my office on the 24th and i was wondering if its possible to just activate the phone at my office, and do the full sync when i get home? If so how would i go about doing that? I currently don't have iTunes on my office computer.

You will need iTunes.

bina12834

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 22, 2008
i understand that i need iTunes. What im wondering is if i can just activate my phone from my office computer (using iTunes, after i download it), and then when i get home plug my phone into my home computer and sync it. If i do that will my office computer then become the "home" computer for my phone?

lorenwade

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2008
i understand that i need iTunes. What im wondering is if i can just activate my phone from my office computer (using iTunes, after i download it), and then when i get home plug my phone into my home computer and sync it. If i do that will my office computer then become the "home" computer for my phone?

Then, yes. You can. Yes, your office computer will be set as the "home" computer... but after plugging it in at home you can easily have the phone wiped and synced to your home computer.

bina12834

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 22, 2008
but after plugging it in at home you can easily have the phone wiped and synced to your home computer.

would just plugging it into my computer at home automatically sync it to that one and make that computer the "home" computer?

obviously there would be nothing to sync to the phone on my work computer because i would just be downloading it to activate the phone so i wont have to wait till i get home to activate it.

lorenwade

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2008
would just plugging it into my computer at home automatically sync it to that one and make that computer the "home" computer?

obviously there would be nothing to sync to the phone on my work computer because i would just be downloading it to activate the phone so i wont have to wait till i get home to activate it.

It may not require you to make it the home computer, but it might. Either way you can activate it at work, then get home and sync it.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007

You can activate your iPhone with any computer with iTunes (dunno if your company allow you to install iTunes on your work computer though, that might break your company's policy).
When you're home and connect the iPhone to your home computer, iTunes will say that the phone is synced with another account on another PC, and it will ask if you want to restore it. Just do that and the phone will be registered with your home PC.

Imo just wait till you go home. I mean it's just a phone, and it's not like you get to use it just for that 1 day.

bina12834

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 22, 2008
You can activate your iPhone with any computer with iTunes (dunno if your company allow you to install iTunes on your work computer though, that might break your company's policy).
When you're home and connect the iPhone to your home computer, iTunes will say that the phone is synced with another account on another PC, and it will ask if you want to restore it. Just do that and the phone will be registered with your home PC.

Imo just wait till you go home. I mean it's just a phone, and it's not like you get to use it just for that 1 day.

got it...excellent....my company doesn't care about downloading iTunes or stuff like that.

RandomKamikaze

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
UK
The best thing to do is stick iTunes into Activation Mode and then that is all that it will do. Won't prompt to set the phone up or anything.

The other thing you have to be aware of is that the corporate firewall may block the access you require.

Also, you will need local admin rights, but if the company doesn't care, you probably already have these

bina12834

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 22, 2008
The best thing to do is stick iTunes into Activation Mode and then that is all that it will do. Won't prompt to set the phone up or anything.

The other thing you have to be aware of is that the corporate firewall may block the access you require.

Also, you will need local admin rights, but if the company doesn't care, you probably already have these

i have the ability to download anythign on my computer, so admin rights wont be an issue.

How do i set iTunes into activation mode?

OutSpoken

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
UK
I have the same issue as the OP.

I have the same issue as the OP.

Currently I dont have internet access at home, so I'm unable to activate my iPhone on my MBP.

However reading the comments, can someone clarify that activating my iPhone on a work PC... wont cause me any other issues at home? will re-synching at home still require internet access to itunes store :confused: Normally I dont understand why so many people get frustrated at iTunes, but yesterday evening when I found out I needed net access plus signing in to my iTunes account to activate my phone! gave me a little taste of the annoyance, that is iTunes :(

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
Don't you have any places around you with free wifi? If that fails, perhaps you could bring your MBP to work and connect it to the ethernet or use the work wifi.
Why are you annoyed that activation requires internet access? How else is itunes supposed to communicate with Apple's servers? Last time I checked, mental telepathy doesn't apply to phones (nor does it work for that matter).

Currently I dont have internet access at home, so I'm unable to activate my iPhone on my MBP.

However reading the comments, can someone clarify that activating my iPhone on a work PC... wont cause me any other issues at home? will re-synching at home still require internet access to itunes store :confused: Normally I dont understand why so many people get frustrated at iTunes, but yesterday evening when I found out I needed net access plus signing in to my iTunes account to activate my phone! gave me a little taste of the annoyance, that is iTunes :(

OutSpoken

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
UK
Don't you have any places around you with free wifi? If that fails, perhaps you could bring your MBP to work and connect it to the ethernet or use the work wifi.
Why are you annoyed that activation requires internet access? How else is itunes supposed to communicate with Apple's servers? Last time I checked, mental telepathy doesn't apply to phones (nor does it work for that matter).

I didn't NEED computer/internet access to activate my previous smartphone a BlackBerry.... and from what I know, my sister didnt NEED internet access to activate her HTC Desire. So my bad for thinking likewise for the iPhone:rolleyes:

..and before you or anyone else say, why did I get an iPhone?... simple, because I wanted too.

critic81

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2008
Massachusetts
All you need to do is download iTunes. When you get your new iPhone, just open up iTunes, plug in your iPhone, and it will be activated. When you get to the screen that asks you to set up the phone as new or from a backup, just unplug your phone. It will be activated and all set up.

When you get home, just update to the latest iTunes, plug in your iPhone, and you will get the same screen that lets you set up your phone as new or from a backup. Just set up as new and sync away. No restoring, or clearing necessary.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.