Activating iPhone 4s from Ebay?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by keithmace, Oct 17, 2011.

1. keithmace macrumors newbie

So i bought an At&t iPhone 4s from ebay new sealed in the box. Only problem which I've now learned it is it obviously wasn't activated. As I see it I really only have two options activate myself and the seller then has to go get a new sim card from the At&t store ( which they have declined to do as they don't want to give me the last four digits of their social security #, rightfully so). Or I send it back to colorado have him activate it take out his sim card and send it back to me. Anyone have any other suggestions or solutions it would be greatly appreciated before I go and mail this from NJ back to Colorado and wait again for him to send it.

2. dave006 macrumors 68020

No big issue this just means that the seller ordered from Apple as an upgrade. You just need to get a new unactivated Micro-SIM and you will be able to activate the iPhone 4S.

Go to an AT&T store and ask for a new unactivated Micro-SIM.

Dave

3. hulk481 macrumors newbie

Ebay 4s iphone purchase?

I have the same problem i bought and iphone 4s from ebay and i need the social security number from the person that bought it and he wont give it to me and thats fine thats why i want to ask if what dave said is true will an inactivated att sim card work to activate the phone and i can use it as and ipod and camera please let me know guys i would really appreciate that thank you :)

4. benguild macrumors 6502a

See my thread:

FYI: Contract iPhone 4S phones MUST be activated by original purchaser before resale.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1258828

There's absolutely no way to activate the phone. The guy is going to have to give you his information or you'll have to send it back to him for him to do it.

Also, even if he gives you his info, it's going to deactivate his account and activate his phone on yours.

There is NO way to reactivate a SIM Card on AT&T, so he'll have to go get a replacement SIM and activate that before he can continue.

It's a royal PITA.

5. SenseiPhone macrumors regular