Activating iPhone affects IRU Discount? Help!?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CP1091, Feb 19, 2008.

1. CP1091 macrumors regular

CP1091

I began activating my iPhone last night, and was greeted with a screen saying I would have to stop my IRU discount. Now I am activating this iPhone on an additional line on a family plan. If I activate the iPhone on this line, will it stop the discount for all the lines? Or just the additional line?

2. Iomega01 macrumors newbie

It will stop the discount only on the line that the iPhone is activated on.

3. CP1091 thread starter macrumors regular

CP1091

Unfortunately I guess it does not.. I was told it negates all the lines from the discount. That just ruined my night. Anyone have any ideas of what I could do?

4. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

I have a corp discount for my At&T family plan and when I activated my iPhone it did not take away the discount...don't know if that helps

5. joel8x macrumors newbie

It seems simple - just don't add it to the family plan - have your significant other activate it under his/her name.

6. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

My thoughts exactly. If it affects something else then don't put it on that plan, activate it separately.

7. Knolly macrumors 6502a

Unlock your iPhone and add on the unlimited media for $15.

I actually have a corporate discount and 1500 texts plus unlimited media and am paying $10 less per month than I would be if I otherwise used the iPhone plan. Good stuff!

8. coachingguy macrumors 6502a

coachingguy

I'll be honest, I don't know if I believe anyone saying their getting a discount. I've had a discount for 4 years, and when I got the iPhone Poof! gone.

I called ATT immediately, the first CS rep "No discounts." I asked nicely to speak to his mgr, "No discounts on ANY iPhones or plans w/ iPhones." I asked to speak to his boss.

I got a call back from "Charlie". Charlie stated in no uncertain terms that as part of the agreement between Apple & ATT there would be absolutely no plan or hardware discounts for the length of their original agreement. And this was clearly publicized when the iPhone was released. I asked "So you are telling me that there are no ATT customers who have an iPhone, who are getting a discount of any kind?" Charlie said calmly (I got the impression that he's had this conversation many times) "There are No ATT customers getting a discount if they have an iPhone on their plan. The computers have been programmed to cancel them so that even if we wanted to give a discount on a plan, we couldn't. I can't override it. If you would like to return your iPhone over this, you have 14 days to do so."

I told Charlie that a memo needs to be sent out to the salespeople, because I had 3 different people at 2 different ATT stores tell me that my discount would be honored "No problem". Charlie said he didn't understand how that was still being said - the training was clear, but he'd look into it. Charlie asked me what stores and if I remembered the names of the sales people. I remembered the stores and still had the cards of 2 of the sales people, which I gave him.

So if you think you're getting a discount, I'd check your bill again.

This was an hour of my life I'll not get back.

Coachingguy

9. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

I'd have to agree with all that you said. When I got my iPhone I messed up and didn't fill in my porting number. The system ended up issuing me an AT&T number. I had to talk to the porting department at AT&T. While the nice woman on the phone was taking care of the porting she and I were chatting. She said she and her husband would both like iPhones but they didn't get any discount at all and they really couldn't afford to be carrying the full cost of two iPhones and a non-discounted plan.

This would echo the statements of the person who sold me the phone at the AT&T store. She said she'd like one but they don't get any discounts.

So, I'd say if the AT&T store and corporate people aren't getting any discounts then I'm thinking average Joe isn't getting one either.

10. Knolly macrumors 6502a

I definitely am getting the discount according to my last bill. The thing is if AT&T KNOWS you have an iPhone, you can kiss your discount goodbye. However, as long as they don't, you're in the green.

As an idea, you might also want to try changing your IMEI with ZiPhone to the IMEI of a cheaper phone you might have, although I haven't tried this so can't guarantee if it'd work.

11. CP1091 thread starter macrumors regular

CP1091

So is your iPhone unlocked? Because I just decided to try that, and everything is working. I am just hoping I don't get slammed with the bill and my discount has disappeared.

12. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

yeah..still getting my discount-- but not on the line with the iPhone-- don't ask me how, but it is there

13. Cobra2001 macrumors regular

This is troubling info as I have been doing my research on these and other forums and the conclusion I came up with was that since my corporate discount applies to the primary line, and in our family plan the primary line belongs to my wife, that if I upgrade to the iPhone on my line (the secondary one) I'll be able to keep the discount on the primary line.

A few, but not all of the AT&T stores I went to confirmed this for me and I found this info online regarding the issue...

http://forums.wireless.att.com/cng/...thread.id=13396&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

http://forums.cingular.com/cng/board/message?board.id=apple&thread.id=11279

14. CP1091 thread starter macrumors regular

CP1091

I read this one and now hope that an inquirey that I made will get the same response..

15. ~*allison*~ macrumors regular

When my husband and I went to AT&T we were told that to be able to get his government discount on a FamilyTalk plan, we'd have to have a primary phone that wasn't an iPhone, and that the discount would be applicable for that plan only. Customer service told me this as well when I spoke to them about it. I think that as long as the primary number is a non-iPhone line, you'll be able to get a discount on whatever other phones were on that line that are non-iPhone. At least that's what I was told. I only spoke to two different people, one through CS and one in-store, and they both told me the same thing. Hope this helps.

16. CP1091 thread starter macrumors regular

CP1091

So AT&T actually just called me regarding my email I sent. They told me that finally AT&T laid out the guidelines for the whole issue. As long as your line with the iPhone is not the primary line, you will still receive the discount. I was also give a number for the business iPhone "support team." I am going to try and activate the iPhone through iTunes, then call this number to make sure I still have this discount.

EDIT: I called the second number, and was told the same thing again. I activated the iPhone and the woman said she would make a note in my account saying I talked with her about the issue, and if there was something wrong with the bill that they would fix it. Woo!

17. Cobra2001 macrumors regular

That's great news and I'm glad it worked out for you. BTW you have a PM from me. Thanks!

18. amb1s1 macrumors newbie

Any updates. I'm in the same boat and I'm in the four processes since 1:00pm.

19. b8b macrumors newbie

Do these methods actually work? I also read a thread (can't find it now, for some reason) that changing the IMEI to an non-3G iPhone will allow you to get the $20 data plan.

Will unlocking it make it have issues when you want to upgrade it through iTunes? Would be nice to save $15 a month :)