Activating iPhone bought with other lines upgrade, activation ATT question?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jonfarr, Sep 23, 2013.

1. jonfarr macrumors 6502a

jonfarr

I used another line on my accounts eligibility to upgrade from the 5 to the 5s. I believe when I went from the 4 to the 4s, I just inserted the sim from my 4 into the 4s and that worked and didnt screw up the line I used the upgrade for.

I am awaiting my 5s to deliver today and was wondering if that would still be the case with swapping my sim from my 5 to the 5s instead of having to go to ATT to get my phone activated since it was purchased for a different phone number.

Anyone tried this? Did I even make sense with what I was asking?

2. AceMason macrumors regular

Yeah, I think that should work. If you had to add a data plan on the line that you used the upgrade for, don't forget to remove it if it's not a smartphone.

3. filmfanatic24 macrumors 6502

Can you just plug the phone into iTunes to activate the SIM and then put your SIM in the new phone? The SIM that came with the phone would then go in the phone of the line that you actually upgraded.

4. jonfarr thread starter macrumors 6502a

jonfarr

If I activate the sim, the phone on the line i used the upgrade on will die.

5. filmfanatic24 macrumors 6502

Which is why you put the SIM that came with it in the "current" phone.

For instance: I ordered an upgrade on a line that has a 4S that uses the "old" style SIM card. I'm going to activate the new phone so the SIM is working, put my SIM in from the iphone 5 and put the new SIM in the iPhone 5.

6. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

When I do this...

I activate the new phone with its included sim. I then move that sim to the phone that had its sim turned off.

I put my own sim into the new phone.

Only a couple catches to this...if the sim sizes aren't right, you will have to use adapters or modify (example if you upgraded a full size sim phone).

I like this process as it's simple.

However, I have heard (a couple years ago not sure if they still do this) of people calling AT&T, explaining the situation before they turn on the new phone. AT&T then has them read the sim card numbers from the different phones and they work it out. Personally, that is just too much work for me to explain it all, and I'd be scared they mess something up. However, it MIGHT be possible.

7. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

This is the method that AT&T would prefer.
    If it's an upgarde, the new SIM is already programmed to the phone number you entered during purchase.
    If that's not going to be its permanent number then AT&T needs to make the change before that new SIM gets activated.

8. jonfarr thread starter macrumors 6502a

jonfarr

that line has a iPhone 4 and the 5s sim wont work in the 4... So that wont work.

----------

Yeah, thats why I usually take it in to a ATT store, Im just trying to avoid the trip. Ill let you all know how it works out once I get it. Im sure a simple swap from my current phone to the new will work just fine.

9. jonfarr thread starter macrumors 6502a

jonfarr

Just got my 5s, swapped in my current sim and its up and running. All I gotta do is smash and trash the one it came with.

10. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I have done the simple sim swap after activation several times, things do change though.

However, every time, the ATT website usually updates in 1-2 days with the correct phone model listed under each number, so their system seems to quickly, automatically, update what sim is being used with what device.