Activating iPhone from ziPhone...

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Ilovemyipod, May 5, 2008.

1. Ilovemyipod macrumors regular

Ilovemyipod

My question is when you click on the activate option on ziPhone how does it activate and have a network on it. Don't you need to activate it to get a network???

The only reason i would activate it from ziPhone is to avoid activation fees.
    Is there even activation fees for the iphone and if there is can you tell me the activation fee price.
    oh and im on att already so i don't really care about the unlocking part.

2. spinstorm macrumors 65816

Don't USE ziphone. It is dangerous. It may break your iPhone.

Use iLiberty.

Activation is so you can access the "home" screen and use functions such as the iPod and Safari etc.

When you first get the iPhone activation tells iTunes to sign you up for a contract - if it is already activated then iTunes won't ask you to sign a contract.

But unless you activate you can't use the official iPhone SIM as it will not work until it gets the signal from the phone network.

For example... If you wanted to use a T-Mobile SIM in a US/UK iPhone you would have to unlock for the phone to get a signal but you also have to activate to be able to access the phone function.

If you buy a new iPhone and intend to sign up for an official contract you have to activate ONCE to sign the contract and get the SIM working. However once you have done that your phone will automatically activate when you jailbreak or update it or restore it.

You can ONLY officially activate if you have an official contract for iPhone otherwise you have to "hacktivate". There are no special activation fees but you can't use an official SIM unless you activate so there is no way around that.

In you case if you want to use an official AT&T iPhone contract there is NO way to avoid activation or you won't be able to sign up at all.

If you wish to use another non-iphone but still an AT&T SIM you will have to unlock and activate using iLiberty as the iPhone is locked to every SIM except the official iPhone SIMs it comes with - payasyougo and other contract SIMs on AT&T won't work unless unlocked (it is the same with O2 in the UK).