activating iphone without atnt sim card (iOS 5)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tthjs, Dec 18, 2011.

1. tthjs macrumors newbie

So, i bought my phone unlocked and had it for a while then recently it stopped working properly so i updated the software using itunes. the update completed but they are saying i need a sim card (without a PIN code) from the carrier (im guessing atnt) to activate it. i did the update yesterday so it would hav updated to 5.0.1 i guess.
    what should i do since i dont have an atnt sim?
    i cant do anything with it right now

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

If its an official unlocked iPhone, then any SIM card should do (who ever your provider is).

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Is it factory unlocked or locked to AT&T?
    If its factory unlocked it will activate with any carriers sim. If its locked to AT&T it will need an AT&T sim.
    Either way you will need a sim, you can never activate an iphone without a simcard unless you JB and hactivate it.

4. tthjs thread starter macrumors newbie

well i tried my sim and it said invalid so i guess its not 'officially unlocked' but thats how i bought it and the guys said they got it unlocked from apple so maybe he lied

5. jeremyshaw macrumors 6502

Yup, I asked this question before, and all I could do was get an old, unused sim to activate it. iOS 5 &iPhone 4s haven't had a hacktivate, yet.

6. tthjs thread starter macrumors newbie

so if i get an atnt sim to activate it, what wud i hav to do to use my regular sim in it? jb it?

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, pretty much.
    Unless they sold it to you with a gevey sim or JB and unlocked with ultrasnow.
    Either way its not officially unlocked so you will need the carriers sim that its locked to in order to activate. And again you still wont be able to use it as a phone, just as an ipod touch.
    Is it an iphone 4 or 3GS? If its an iphone 4 nothing can unlock it at the moment so you wont be able to use any foreign sim at all.
    If its a 3GS you can JB it and install the ipad bb to unlock.

8. tthjs thread starter macrumors newbie

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You will have to JB and then install the ipad bb in order to unlock. Research and make sure you're ok with that cause you will lose your gps fucntionality and you will inherit many other sides.
    And the ultrasnow unlock hasnt been updated to work with 5.0.1, highest was 5.0 so you will need to do some work to get it to work. There's a hack from a repo you can add and install on cydia.
    If what Im saying doesnt make much sense to you then you need to start researching and learning about JB and unlocking.
    Its not a simple thing, takes time. Dont do anything unless you're comfortable and understand what you're doing, how and why on your iphone 3GS.
    Good luck.

10. tthjs thread starter macrumors newbie

kk i will thanks