activating iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ricey, Aug 30, 2009.

1. ricey macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, im new to all this but my question is,

I have an iphone 3G which i have on O2 which i had a contract with. Now the contract has finished and i dont have the original sim anymore. If i restore the iphone to factory settings will i have to reactivate again? and if so can i do it with the O2 sim that im using now or do i have to use the original sim which i dont have :confused:

cheers
    Ricey

2. FXT 1 macrumors 6502

If you reset it back to Factory settings then, Yes you will have to activate it again.

Good news however, you can activate a UK iPhone with any O2 SIM. Just put in the SIM card and Sync with iTunes. :)

3. manorpark macrumors member

The sim you have now should be fine, I used different O2 sims with no problem before JB'ing and moving to Vodafone.

MP

4. ricey thread starter macrumors newbie

fantastic news guys thanks very much for your help

Ricey

5. FXT 1 macrumors 6502

No Problem :)

6. ricey thread starter macrumors newbie

hi just another quick question,
    i plan on jailbreaking my iphone if i do straight after the restore does it still need activating?

Ricey

7. FXT 1 macrumors 6502

Yeah, When You restore and either set up as a new phone or from an existing backup, (Remember: It's not a good idea to restore a jailbroken iPhone's backup onto a non-jailbroken locked iPhone. Just warning you.:)) the phone returns to the state you first purchased it in, thus requiring activation (unless you restore from a backup, but in this case it still needs activating).

Hope this helps.

8. ricey thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you once again, think i will have a play tonight will let you all know how i get on :D

Ricey