activating Matlab 7.6 on OSX 10.9 and Java issues

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by msvadi, Nov 10, 2013.

1. msvadi, Nov 10, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2013

msvadi macrumors regular

Hi everyone,

I'm having a trouble activating Matlab 2008a on Mavericks. As far as I understand, the problem is related to Java changes. The log file contains the following error message:

(Nov 10, 2013 14:25:46)java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: Cant load library: /Applications/MATLAB_R2008a/bin/maci64/libinstutil.jnilib

Searching online for similar messages, I found this discussion:

http://compgroups.net/comp.soft-sys.matlab/libactivation-exception-problem-on-os-x/959296

It is suggested to disable 64bit Java and use an older 32-bit version of Java (1.5 ?). However, I don't know how to do that on Mavericks. Java control panel accessible from System Preferences only shows Java 1.7.

I appreciate your help with this.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

You can't disable 64-bit Java anymore, as far as I know. You CAN install Java SE 6, which has a 32-bit version, for such situations, though - Eclipse and LibreOffice won't work without it on Mavericks, for example.

3. msvadi thread starter macrumors regular

Looks like half of the discussion has disappeared... Anyway, you mentioned before that in Mavericks (or even before) Apple removed the interface for switching to a 32-bit version. I was wondering if this can be done from terminal using UNIX commands, as I still have a bunch of older Java versions on my computer (Java 5 and 4).

For example, here http://www.monkehworks.com/set-java-7-as-default-jvm-on-mac-osx-mountain-lion it is suggested that we can use symbolic links to change default Java version. I tried that trick to set Java 5 as default, but the computer still uses Java 6. Am I missing something?

Also, here http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6942063/how-to-run-32-bit-java-on-mac-osx-10-7-lion it is suggested that -d32 switch can be used to set 32-bit Java as default, but the instructions are not very clear. What commands do I need to execute to switch to 32-bit?

I'll appreciate any help or clarifications.

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

A simple thing you can do WITHOUT the Terminal is check to see if the application in question is set to run in 32-bit or 64-bit mode. Perform a Get Info on the app, and look in the General section for a "Run in 32-bit mode" checkbox - this will only be present if that application supports both 32-bit and 64-bit execution. If this check box IS present, try toggling it.

5. msvadi thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, I give up: looks like it's time to upgrade my Matlab to the most recent version...