Activating New 4S - Where/How?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Penman61, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Penman61 macrumors member

It's been awhile since I bought an iPhone (3G), so excuse the obvious question:

If I buy the 4S online via Apple.com, and want to keep the same provider (AT&T) and plan, how do I activate the phone once I receive it? Do I need to go to an Applestore or AT&T store, or can I activate it from home?

Less obvious question: Same scenario, except I want to change from AT&T to Verizon. How/where do I activate the phone?

TIA. :)

2. doctapeppa macrumors 6502

No. You just plug it into itunes and you are good to go. Actually, this time around you don't even need to plug it into itunes. You'll be able to activate it right through the phone.

3. forza69 macrumors 6502a

forza69

I imagine if you pre-order online you'll be able to activate it yourself. If you want to switch to another carrier you should talk to your current carrier.

4. Penman61 thread starter macrumors member

Um, OK.

Three posts, three different answers. :)

Who'll break the tie? And whom should I believe?

5. doctapeppa macrumors 6502

Ir is plain wrong and the other guy said the same thing I did, basically.

6. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

As doctapeppa said, you can activate it yourself at home by connecting to iTunes. iOS 5 also has a new cordless activation feature, where you can activate it without having to connect to anything if that's what you would rather do - you just pop in the SIM card (if applicable), tap through the steps on the screen and you're all good to go.

7. irDigital0l Guest

idk thats what i did when I got my CDMA Verizon iPhone earlier this year. I got it in the mail, connected to iTunes, and went to Verizon to get the data plan set up.

Im not sure of any changes from Feb till now about this.

8. doctapeppa macrumors 6502

You choose a data plan as part of the activation process. If that fails for some reason you could always call them on the phone to set you up. Not sure why you had to go to the store but I can assure you that is not the normal way of activating an iphone you receive in the mail.

9. Penman61 thread starter macrumors member

10. LagFighter macrumors regular

Usually, you can do it from iTunes. However, I've been given special information in terms of keeping grandfathered-in unlimited plans after calling an AT&T service rep this afternoon.

If you want to do this, you have to go to the AT&T store, specify that you want to keep your unlimited plan, have them call Corporate to confirm, and then have them activate your phone for you. Only then will the plan carry over.

11. doctapeppa macrumors 6502

I've carried over my unlimited plan 3 times now, twice at the apple store and once getting my phone in the mail. I have not stepped foot in an ATT store in a long, long time.

12. LagFighter macrumors regular

I've activated my phone over iTunes every year as well. However, the conversation I had with the rep leads me to believe that this year is different. I've also heard other rumblings about it on the forums here.

Feel free to try your luck.

13. doctapeppa macrumors 6502

Don't ever believe what AT&T reps tell you. They know nothing.

14. LagFighter macrumors regular

That's a pretty arbitrary thing to say. I'd rather be safe than sorry...

15. rhinosrcool, Oct 6, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2011

rhinosrcool macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

I hope I can keep my real unlimited plan, just by activating at home? On ATT's website, when I just try the upgrade (I realize that I can't do the 4s yet) I get this "Some services on your current device may be replaced by similar iPhone services during upgrade". What does that mean? I should say that in May, I sold my iPhone4 and have been using my 2g (slow!!!!).

16. aloecool macrumors regular

Uhoh...any more thoughts on this? I also have unlimited data with my 3GS and would like to keep it when I upgrade! Obviously I'd prefer to just do it at home...but not at the risk of losing it!