Activating sidebar in "Open" dialog boxes

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by GwenGwen, Jan 16, 2014.

1. GwenGwen macrumors newbie

Hi,

I just bought a new Mac and I'm a bit surprised that I can't see the left sidebar inside this "Open" dialog box. I'm talking about the sidebar where you usually see Applications / Desktop / Documents / and any mounted drives.

I'm using Multibit software in this specific example.

It would be extremely useful since I'm trying to open a file from a USB drive, and now I can only select a location from the computer drive.

How can I modify the preferences so the sidebar is always displayed? Is there some kind of shortcut?

-

[​IMG]

2. ElectricSheep macrumors 6502

ElectricSheep

The short answer is: you can't. Apple provides a standard Save/Open Panel as a part of AppKit, but it looks like the application in question here is using a cross-platform framework. All bets are off at this point and there isn't anything you can do as the end-user.

You will have to ask the developers to use the standard NSSavePanel (and its subclass NSOpenPanel) from AppKit if you want the sidebar.

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

As an workaround, try dragging a file from Finder to the application's Dock icon. This "should" work, but the app in question doesn't seem to be written well so there are no guarantees.