Activating Siri?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iPaddy, Oct 9, 2011.

1. iPaddy macrumors 6502

I'm not sure if this has been discussed on the forums, but one feature I think would be awesome with Siri is if you could activate it, without touching your phone.

So for example, when I'm at uni, my iPhone is always in its charge dock on my desk, it'd be great if I could walk in and say 'Siri call home' or 'Siri do I have any plans today?'.

Basically, hands free, without having to press the home button.

I'd have no idea, but guess it would be difficult to do, just think it'd be cool.

2. lorax3 macrumors regular

lorax3

The issue would be constant active listening. Even if Siri was able to only use battery when it heard noise, what would stop anyone near by from activating it?

Imagine being at a tech conference, and yelling. "HEY SIRI WHO ARE YOU". And you hear 100 Siri's say "Well Dave now it's time to find out". Creepy...

3. Harvey Specter macrumors regular

And what if you are talking to someone nearby and accidentally send a voice command or text message? I can also imagine how voice control being constantly on would drain and reduce battery life in general.

4. Ibjr macrumors 6502a

5. iPaddy thread starter macrumors 6502

I know, I know, there are many flaws to the plan, but I still think it'd be uber cool.
    Gradually getting closer to a personal assistant to rival...personal assistants.

6. newmacuser14 macrumors member

Does Siri use data or does it use internet etc? If I use it a lot will it cause me to go over my data limit?

7. lorax3 macrumors regular

lorax3

As far as we know, it will use data, although may require 3G at a minimum.

8. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

My intuition is that data use will not be much compared to other day-to-day stuff, especially streaming.

9. blacka4 macrumors 6502

my question is can I activate Siri by using a bluetooth earpiece?

10. scootaru macrumors 6502

It probably won't be long before a jailbreak app comes out that activates Siri on command when on your home wifi connected to a power source.

"Siri, shut the fu** up" -> hits the snooze when your alarm goes off

11. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

I'm pretty sure you can.

12. 2010RS macrumors 6502

don't android phones already have the ability to "wake up" to a certain phrase?

ie. "hey siri, turn your bitch ass on i have a question for you"