Carrier Activating unlocked iPhone on AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fxbeta, Oct 23, 2018.

1. fxbeta macrumors member

fxbeta

If I get an XR (paid in full, so it should be unlocked), do I need to do anything besides remove the AT&T SIM card from my current 6+ and put it in? Do I need to contact AT&T to have it work?

Thanks.

2. OTACORB macrumors 68000

OTACORB

I will share my experience, but your mileage may vary! Before I ever powered on the XS Max, I removed the AT&T sim and then put the sim from my existing phone in. I then powered it up and it took me through an activation and I thought on crap it's going to bill me the $30 activation fee. However, as I understand it and since I've never been billed the $30 the assumption is that existing sim had already been activated so it didn't charge me the fee. I was told that once I started the phone the old sim would no longer work and I'd be forced to use the new sim. That was not he case for me.

Again I am just sharing what I did and I can't promise you one way or the other that it will work. But if it doesn't then just call into AT&T and ask them kindly to waive the fee. I see a lot of forum users have been successful in doing so. Just remember if you get a Rep that refused, just wait a while and call back again. One guy called 3 times, but did get it waived. I guess persistence paid off. :)

I initially purchase a sim free version and I did the same thing with it, but at the time that I got the 2nd XS Max they had no sim free version in stock at the store and I got the AT&T version.

3. Mackinjosh Suspended

I've swapped my ATT sim about 20 times over the past decade and have never been charged. I just take my sim out of one phone and stick it in another and it just works.

4. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Never paid an activation with ATT, just swapped SIM cards BEFORE turning the new phone on.

5. Nhwhazup macrumors 68020

Nhwhazup

Same here. Worked fine with a Sim free version and also with an ATT version. Just swap first and then run the set up. I’ve actually swapped the SIM back and forth a few times when comparing cellular service from the new phone back to the old with no activation fees.

6. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Just make sure no one uses the provided SIM card that came with the new phone as it will move your phone service onto their phone.

7. fxbeta thread starter macrumors member

fxbeta

Thanks everyone. It sounds like the most important thing to know is to swap in the current SIM into the new phone before turning it on. I'll definitely follow that advice!