Activating Verizon phone with T-Mobile SIM

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wizplum, Nov 3, 2017.

1. wizplum macrumors newbie

I purchased a Verizon iPhone X through Apple's website. It arrived today, and I swapped in the T-Mobile SIM expecting it to just work (based on what others were saying here). However I was confronted with a screen that said "you purchased this with number xxx-xxx-xxxx" (the Verizon number) and was asked to activate (with last 4 of social and zip). Is there any way to skip this? I tried to restore the phone with iTunes but the same screen came back... Thanks!

2. asiqwdae macrumors newbie

check on my thread. U can find it, as same as ur topic.

3. Zune55 macrumors 6502a

Zune55

I have vice-versa combination and its working perfectly fine.

4. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

I had the same issue. Press the physical button on the right side of the phone and there should pop up options one being to skip.

5. jacklivehere macrumors regular

I got sprint version, I just used sprint phone number details to activate though I have T-Mobile sim . Never used the phone on sprint

6. wizplum thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I tried entering zip and last 4 as used during purchase process and I keep getting an error message saying the information couldn't be validated with Verizon... also makes me skeptical about the hypothesis that this data is only checked by Apple. Any ideas?

7. biopig macrumors regular

I got the Sprint phone and swapped an ATT SIM card in. Same screen there but it's easy to fill everything since it's me myself who ordered it and own it. And it went thru the activation process without any problem. Now I'm a happy ATT user with an unlocked Sprint iPhone X.

What concerns me is I might still have to pay the upgrade fee to Sprint even tho I activated the phone using ATT SIM card, according what the stuff in Apple Store told me.

8. wizplum thread starter macrumors newbie

So do you need to have the Verizon SIM in it when you go through the verification? I don't want the other person to lose service, but with T-Mobile SIM in the phone I just get "error validating" over and over...

9. eplchamps macrumors member

My verizon one came from bestbuy. Put in a foreign sim, it showed signal but did not activate. Had to use an old unused verizon sim i had laying around.

10. iphoneXnew macrumors newbie

Will this process work with a Sprint model from apple.com + a Verizon SIM? I'm worried that it would deactivate the person's Sprint phone.

11. dave006 Contributor

dave006

If you buy from BestBuy, you must activate the iPhone first with one of the 1 of the 4 Major Carriers US SIM before you can get service on a Foreign SIM.

This is due to the Apple Activation profile that is assigned to all iPhones sold by BestBuy. It is not a carrier issue but an Apple policy on the Apple Activation servers.

If you use a Verizon postpaid SIM card for the initial activation, the phone will be carrier unlocked. The Verizon postpaid SIM card does not have to be active on Verizon to do the initial activation. You can do the initial activation over WiFi or using iTunes.

After that, you can use an international SIM card in the iPhone long as the device is carrier unlocked. If you use a Verizon postpaid SIM card for the initial activation, the phones will be carrier unlocked.

Dave

12. OcramSagev macrumors member

For those who bought the iPhone from IUP:
    Putting the T-mobile/AT&T sim before booting the first time does not work

Put an inactive Verizon SIM card in the iPhone X
    Connect to wifi (just follow the iPhone's process) [The Verizon SIM will not provide internet]
    Activate with your Verizon friend's credentials [The one you used for the IUP]
    You are done, take the inactive SIM and put back your AT&T Sim

For IUP , it seems it wants to activate via Verizon (the same way IUP validates the account) and also a Verizon SIM
    Hope this helps.