Carrier Activating Verizon Upgrade 7+

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Trey M, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

Hi all,

He's my scenario: received my matte black 7+ today, picked it up in store. This will be going to a family next week once I receive my Jet Black 7+ (sometime next week). I had some issues activating in store so I want to confirm something for my Jet Black phone coming in next week.

We have an older Verizon plan that still has upgrade discounts. I used my Dad's upgrade as I have in the past to get the Jet Black phone. However, once I receive the JetBlk phone, I want to activate the phone on a different phone number (mine). I want to ensure I don't deactivate my Dad's old SIM card, because he lives in another city and it would be a major inconvenience. I believe, based on my experience in the store today, that I will have to do these 3 things:

1) Swap out the included SIM and insert my own SIM before I turn on the device
    2) Go thru Verizon/Apple authentication to 'activate' the device (basically free the authentication). This is where you put in the last 4 of your SS# and the billing zip code
    3) Continue thru activation as normal, once iPhone is activated and useable, my old SIM will work as expected, and my father will experience no interruption in his service on his own iPhone

Can anyone confirm, that received an iPhone 7 today that upgraded with a different phone number, confirm that the above scenario will work?

2. Vegasryn macrumors 6502

Before ever turning on, swap the SIMS and you'll be good to go. Since the SIM is already technically activated, you can just go through the iOS initial setup as normal.

3. Trey M thread starter macrumors 6502a

Trey M

Well actually that's not true anymore. At least on the device I received in store today.

Apple is apparently holding an authentication for the original purchaser of the phone on their servers before allowing a user to proceed through a setup. Users have reported that even a DFU restore does not alleviate this required authentication. This appears to be a new thing this year that is at least affecting Verizon iPhone 7 customers. Some other users posted about it in the Verizon iPhone for an AT&T or Tmobile service thread.

In years past I have employed this method you mentioned with success, however it appears to different this year.

4. Vegasryn macrumors 6502

Strange, I did it earlier today. Had an active SIM in my 6s Plus - took it out and put it in 7plus ...booted and ran iOS setup as normal.

5. Trey M thread starter macrumors 6502a

Trey M

When you say you did it earlier today, you mean you upgraded on VZW using a different phone number than the number you used to activate with? No billing zip code or SS # authentication? Also wondering if you received your phone via UPS or in an Apple Store as I suspect there may be differences in process between the two

6. Vegasryn macrumors 6502

Phone was delivered - ordered on Apple. Had upgrade available on different line then I wanted to use new phone on. No extra info entered.