Activating Win XP Home OEM on Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by VisionVek, Nov 28, 2007.

1. VisionVek macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm a newbie to the forum and I have read and reread many posts on this topic and I wanted to find out if I can get clarification.

I just bought a MacBook Pro and I used Boot Camp to set up a windows partition. I used the OEM Win XP Home disc and couldn't activate, because (as I found out from here) I can only use the copy on the original hardware it came with.

I read in one place (on this site) that I can call MS or use the phone activation line to get a new key by telling them that I reformatted my hard drive and the copy is still on the same computer. But, I read that this only applies to the retail copy, not the OEM copies. So, for anyone that can help, my questions are:

-Can I get a new key with an OEM copy by telling them I reformatted my HD?
    -If I get a new copy, does it invalidate the key on my PC (which has the original key assigned to it) and cause it to become inactive?

Any help will be appreciated.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Call Microsoft at the number provided and don't lie to them. You may get lucky, but don't expect this to work as it is clearly NOT in the spirit of the EULA you accepted when installing the OEM version, as it explicitly does NOT grant you transfer rights, and it deflintely doesn't grant you the right to use this copy of XP on both the PC and Mac at the same time.

Microsoft is free to grant you extra rights when you talk to them on the phone, but don't count on it...

B

3. pelorick macrumors newbie

I bought an OEM version of Vista Home Prem. from newegg, but it ended up not working. Apple said it has to be a retail version in order to work (especially w/o any work arounds). I was able to convince them to credit me for the OEM and I bought the retail version from them. The install was fine and Vista is up and running.

4. apcpa2000 macrumors member

apcpa2000

From what I read the a new OEM version would work. I hope this is true because I just ordered one from Tiger Direct (through amazon) based on a response I got on these forums and posts on amazon.

If it is a new OEM XP Home SP2 is it not going to work?

5. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

6. jvernwald macrumors newbie

OEM on imac

I just installed OEM Windows XP Prof. on my 2009 iMac. It installed fine but when I get to the product key portion of the install it tells me that the product key that came with the software is "incorrect" Any thoughts as to how I am to fix this?!?

7. PrimOrdial09 macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I just registered here.

This is exactly what happens here. I´m in real trouble now.
    I verified with Ms that my cd key is in fact valid.

My HD crashed, backup did´nt include Win or Parallels VMs, so I had to reinstall.

What is funny (and the frustrating part) is that I had XP working flawless before. On the same machine, same HD, same everything.

My system details are:
    Macbook 5,1
    OS 10.5.8
    Parralels 5.0.9220

I´m desperate, please help

P.s.: As you know XP is on extended support only (meaning 2€ per minute on phone, no email) and as phonecalls to Ms, even for the simpliest tasks take at least 8 - 15 min, I can´t justify that.

8. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

If you're activating over the phone, it's free, and it's relatively quick.

9. PrimOrdial09 macrumors newbie

It´s not the activation, which is the problem.
    During Install the cd key is not accepted. I can´t install. Activation would come later.

10. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You sure you're using the right product key for the disc? Confusing O and 0 or other typos?

B

11. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

Then you must have a retail copy of XP Home with an OEM key or vice versa.

12. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

You have an upgrade version of the OS, not a full version. My guess is that you had no OS installed. If so, just don't enter anything at the Key field. Then once you've finally finished the install; start again and reinstall. This time when it asks for the key, enter your key and it should take it this time.

The OS is designed to know the difference of an upgrade vs a clean install and the keys are tied to either upgrade or clean; it will reject them if it is used at the wrong time.

13. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Why does everyone keep saying OEM is for one machine only?

I have an OEM copy of XP Home SP2, have used it for dozens of installs on at least 4 machines (not at once, mind). Never any activation problems.

14. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Most OEM copies are that way; it depends on where you get the OEM copy from. System manufactures have ones that are tied to their machines. If you buy the OEM version from a software distributor like Frys or NewEgg they are basically the same as any other version.

15. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Just because it can technically be done it doesn't mean that you are licensed to do it or that Microsoft has to support what they did in your case for anyone else.

Read the current System Builder License it allows for precisely one use. Preparation of the system for resale to a third party end user. If that ain't what you're doing with it, Microsoft is under no obligation to hold up their end of the agreement either...

B

16. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

The double upgrade clean install trick is for Vista and 7 not XP.

XP is the one that wanted you to insert your 95/98/ME CD.

B

17. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Sorry, you're right, I had my head up my arse and couldn't read correctly. doh.