Activation after update on unlocked device?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by dusk007, Sep 8, 2010.

1. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I got my iphone 3gs with 3.0.1 as I recall with AT&T contract and I jailbroke it after a while because I wanted some apps.
    I updated later to 3.1.3 with Pwnagetool. -> Baseband is still 4.26

I want to upgrade to iOS 4.0 and since the unlocks work for newer basebands I was wondering if an update is safe now, or makes sense at all.

My iPhone is still legally unlocked from AT&T after i cancelled the contract. Is it deactivated after a full update with redsn0w? And needs hacktivation? Is there any difference between a hacktivation and legal activation.

Or should I just use do a non baseband update to 4.0 with Pwnagetool and be done with it.

((just some background, not important for answering the questions))
    I am a little late with the 4.0 update because I just now decided that I won't sell it but instead get some contract again. For the last two months I used my old Austrian cell and the iphone only as an ipod. I might use it with an orange contract (they sell iphones too) or some other carrier.
    Initially I wanted to get an Android phone with superamoled but I decided they are too expensive and all have some flaws. I don't get it why they cannot simply make one phone they is sturdy, has no space consuming keyboard, and a huge battery to last long. Iphone 4 is still better but also too expensive and I wanted to get away from jailbreaks and iTunes. Although an iPhone 4 is in Austria actually cheaper in TCO than in the states. We also have much better 3G coverage but it a little useless. If you are in a different country such a smart phone with all its tricks is really useful. At home it is much more difficult to justify spending this amount of money as I hardly ever need maps, GPS, where!, and other things.

2. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Unless AT&T operates in other countries, there's no such thing as a legal unlock from AT&T.
    Because you have a 3GS, you're limited like the iphone 4. If you can get your hands on iOS 4.0 or 4.0.1, you can upgrade and still be able to jailbreak and unlock.
    Someone can correct me on this, but the primary jb option for iOS 4.0 and 4.0.1 is jailbreakme.com.

3. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

Your best option is to pwned train. and continue using pwnagetool => custom to upgrade to 4.0, 4.0.1, 4.0.2 or whatever with the 4.26 baseband. 4.26 baseband unlock is more stable and has less issues compare to recent ones.

4. dusk007 thread starter macrumors 68040

dusk007

Thanks I did as you said and took the save route with pwnagetool again.
    It works flawlessly. I just tried putting in the sim and other than that I got the PIN code wrong the first try I had no issues. Perfect reception (as it should have).