Activation after using QuickPwn?!?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by kilbournj, Feb 20, 2009.

1. kilbournj macrumors newbie

i jailbroke and unlocked my iphone 2g today using quicpwn, i thought it was going to activate it as well, but it did not. i am already an AT&T customer and thought if i popped in my SIM card I would get phone signal, but there is no signal on my iphone. does anybody know how i can get signal on it???

2. alphatectz macrumors 6502a

alphatectz

Are you using a 2g or 3g iPhone, if your using a 2g do a full restore and the re-jailbreak, then install cydia and check off the box were it says unlock and poof there u go. if ur using an iPhone 3g dont upgrade to 2.2.1 cause yellowsno\0w wont work, in other words you cant jailbreak. ;)

3. tylertech macrumors regular

If you have a 2G make sure that you have your SIM card inside the iPhone while going though the QuickPWN activation, as I think this may help.

4. kilbournj thread starter macrumors newbie

not too sure...

Alphatectz, when i use quickpwn, doesnt that install cydia? because when i finished the quickpwn the first go around, cydia was on my iphone screen. do you mean i have to go into the cydia app on my phone and "check off the box where it says unlock"? I just want to make sure i have your directions right. thanks a lot for the help

5. tylertech macrumors regular

No, you have to check this in quickpwn during the jailbreak/unlock process. If you didn't you probably want to jailbreak again. In quickpwn, it will give you options on either to install Cydia and Installer, and to unlock your phone. If you didn't check this while using quickpwn, you might have to try it again.

6. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

I did find when I used Quickpwn on my already activated O2 2G phone that the unlock/activate process did not work.

I had to restore my phone via DFU to an unactivated state and do it again.

I think the problem may be that Quickpwn fails to overwrite the "activation pair" records that are already on the phone. Once it was unactivated, Quickpwn wrote completely different activation pair records.

Hope that helps you.

7. iseeharvey macrumors newbie

How do you restore "via DFU"

8. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

If you're already an AT&T customer, you don't have to do anything with unlocking or yellowsn0w. While running quickpwn (with your SIM inserted, of course), check "Install Cydia" and nothing else.

9. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

You still need to hactivate the phone to use it without a data plan. Also, if you have an older sim card, you will probably still need to unlock (I did).

10. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Where does he say he wants to use it w/o a data plan?

11. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

12. nc3G macrumors newbie

Actually, this is almost exactly where I am. I'll have an Apple service replacement 2G that I want to use for my wife without data on my AT&T account (which I'm using with a iPhone 3G that isn't unlocked, and I'd like to keep it that way). I'll be using the SIM out of her current phone (which is pretty new).

Can someone give me a play-by-play on the process? Mainly she'd like to use it as a "regular" (non-roaming data) phone with iPod-touch-like capabilities.

(OP - sorry to hijack - think you're looking for the same thing other than use with a non-unlocked phone on the same iTunes)

13. tylertech macrumors regular

So basically you want to use a 2G iPhone on AT&T with the SIM you already have, and without a data plan.

First insert the ATT sim into the iPhone, and follow the exact instructions here: http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1880 (including unlocking).

After that whole process is done, (the phone is unlocked) you want to make sure that no data is used. Open up Cydia, which should now be placed on the home screen, and search for "BossPrefs". Download it, and switch the "Edge" data off.

14. nc3G macrumors newbie

Tyler - thanks! Will this have any impact on my 3G phone since they will share the same iTunes? Also, she's running Mac OSX, so I'm assuming this link works for the Mac? Lastly, is the "activation" dealt with through this (I noticed iTunes in the "Restore" phase)? In other words, once I'm done with QuickPwn, the SIM will work and she'll have regular access to voicemail, phone, etc.?

15. tylertech macrumors regular

Yes, those instructions are perfect.

iTunes won't be affected as it will recognize them as two separate iPhones. iTunes will also see the 2G iPhone as a regular iPhone, with no changes after you activate it during the process in the instructions.

She will have full access to everything the phone has to offer: App Store, Phone, and Voicemail, and whatever else. However, since you do not want data on the phone, there will not be visual voicemail. It will just prompt you to call to check it like a regular phone.

Just make sure to block all data so that you don't get charged by mistake.

16. alphatectz macrumors 6502a

alphatectz

sorry but cydia is already preinstalled after jailbreaking, but were u able to unlock your 2g as of yet? one thing DONT INSTALL INSTALLER ITS USELESS!!!!!
    :D:D